There are newer employer reviews for Timken

So far, so good

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canton, OH
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canton, OH

I have been working at Timken

Pros

I haven't been there long, but so far it's been a great environment. Learning and development are encouraged and managers try to make sure employees they find roles for employees that ensure they are challenged. I've sought out new opportunities within my role and haven't had any trouble getting them. I've been given a lot of responsibility, which I really like and which has given me exposure to upper level management as well.

Since the company is so large, there are plenty of opportunities to move around among different functional areas. In fact, that's encouraged because it makes a more well-rounded employee. Managers are supportive of these types of moves, or stretch assignments. I have found there is always an open dialogue about what I want in my career and what type of support I will need in order to get it. I feel very supported.

Cons

Communication could be better. The company is very conservative, so some areas of the business feel that they haven't been told about certain issues. The management team likes to keep things quiet, but as an employee, I would rather have a full understanding of what is going on so I feel more connected with the company.

In addition, since the company is so conservative, I've found that the culture isn't very diverse. At least that's what I've found in my building. I would prefer to find myself in an environment that is more culturally and ethnically diverse since that could lead to more well-rounded perspectives in decision-making processes.

Try to have more open communication with the employees. The more information employees have, the better they understand how their jobs fit within the business and, usually, the better they perform.

Try to place more focus on recruiting for a more diverse work-place.

Face time seems to be valued a lot. I value working smarter, not harder, so it can be frustrating that many employees work from home after the work day ends or over the weekend. It's also frustrating that that behavior is expected. Try to place more emphasis on efficient work rather than time spent on the work - you will attract better employees that way.

reviews filtered by
  1. Still rolling along

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canton, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canton, OH

I worked at Timken

Pros

Challenging work, striving for growth, ethics and integrity

Cons

In the quest for growth, has lost touch with the "human side" of the business. Feel more like a purchased asset vs a valued member of a team.

People are at the root of your success. Get back in touch with your people.

2. Tax Analyst Timken

Current Employee - Tax Analyst in Canton, OH
    Current Employee - Tax Analyst in Canton, OH

I have been working at Timken

Pros

The company is loyal to the community and is generally profitable, is conveniently located and compensation is among the best companies in the area.

Cons

Promotions are slow in coming, and generally are politically motivated. The company has a tendency to continually downsize its workforce.

The internal lines of communication should be more vertical. Top management should be more accessible, and promotions should be more performance-based.

There are newer employer reviews for Timken