Great Place to work and learn, questionable for the long haul

I have been working at Tokyo Electron

Pros

The company really values employees as people- the company as a whole is very slow to hire, but also very slow to lay people off. It happens, but usually the handwriting was on the wall for a long time ahead- and every effort is made to move people to other jobs or retain them somehow. Salaries and bonuses are generous- somewhat to make up for the lack of stock in the US. Really stable employment- and good opportunities for new training,etc. In some cases you can gain a lot of valuable experience very quickly working at TEL. TEL is sort of the opposite of AMAT in terms of customer service, and also direction- TEL is the tortoise in the race.

Cons

HR is not world class by any stretch- and there is an atmosphere of a country club at the US headquarters- where rules for benefits, travel, IT needs, etc. are addressed. The bureaucrats there make nonsensical rules that nobody can do anything about- even at the VP and Pres. level. Employees are not empowered- even at a senior level, unless they are management. Small organization leads to little upward movement and there is a tendency to hire former/current customers' employees for management roles (presumably for their contacts/insight) rather than promote successful people from within. Once you get to a certain level you will have permanent bruises from the glass ceiling- if you happen to get through one- here comes another. Nobody at the really senior levels in TEL is non-Japanese, including individual contributors (e.g. Fellows).

Other Reviews for Tokyo Electron

Patience is a virtue

Current Employee - Member of the Technical Staff
    Current Employee - Member of the Technical Staff

I have been working at Tokyo Electron

Pros

TEL has a lot of great people working in the US, both expats and US citizens. TEL pays bonuses twice a year, and the target is at least 20% total for the year (10% of your salary every six months). In a good year that's a great thing, in a great year they go higher. and in a nasty downturn they can disappear altogether. If you're a lucky and resourceful, you can do some meaningful research, publish, work with academic groups, etc. and earn a good salary working for TEL. Also, unlike US semiconductor companies, TEL very rarely lays off employees- that's a true Japanese cultural difference- they don't hire quickly in upturns and they rarely lay people off- though they do bring in temporary/contract workers that they can let go in a downturn without laying off an employee.

Cons

You are a gaijin working for a Japanese Company. If you want to be CEO one day, then better look elsewhwere, nobody on the board is non-Japanese. Senior US management is generally hired from outside, not within, TEL America, so there is very little upward mobility. And most of the US workforce is field service- so if you are in R&D and want to go into management, you might need to become a field service manager to do it. Middle management is entrenched, earning good salaries, and they've generally resigned themselves to the fact that they won't ever rise beyond Director level (with maybe 1 or 2 exceptions). There is a technical ladder- but for the past couple years it hasn't really functioned. So, eventually the glass ceiling will loom. It's up to you what direction you want to take.

If it were demonstably possible to become the head of a US business from within TEL, it would be easier to argue that people should be patient and stay the course. But I imagine that TEL US management has very little to say about it when the Japanese management wants to hire former customers to run the business (note: the reason they are former customers is because they somehow failed)

Good job despite flaws

Former Employee - Field Service Engineer
    Former Employee - Field Service Engineer

I worked at Tokyo Electron full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay. Good Job. A good semiconductor industry experience.

Cons

Procedures are difficult to get a hold of. Thrown in the first day with no prior training. Going to training in Austin is hit or miss. I was in the job for well over a year before I was considered for a training class. At this point I had a lot of experience on the tools. Knowing ANY information before being thrown in would have been extremely helpful. And since I have to do everything why can I not have procedures without a torturous search or without having to beg other employees to see a procedure?
    I had a problem with a coworker but said nothing for a very long time because I assumed I would not be taken seriously or that the boss wouldn't really do anything. When I finally did mention it because my boss was questioning my performance (I had to become completely withdrawn to avoid the unpleasant person) and I had to bring it up. I was then looked at by management differently and I was let go within 6 months. What I was let go for was nothing different than what any other employee there did. (Including management.)

Training.
    Learn from what employees are telling you.

There are newer employer reviews for Tokyo Electron.

Worked for Tokyo Electron? Contribute to the Community!