There are newer employer reviews for Toll Brothers

My experience fit the Job Description

I have been working at Toll Brothers

Pros

Pleasant environment to work in.

Cons

None that I can think of

75 Other Employee Reviews for Toll Brothers (View Most Recent)

Worst job I've ever had

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Toll Brothers full-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked as a sales associate at three gorgeous, very high-end properties (all homes $1 million - $5 million). Met some decent people working there -- lots of bonding over mutual hate and mistrust towards the organization.

Decent sales training, though the national sales trainer is HORRIBLE. While it is definitely cheesy, they do focus on relationship selling and the sales process, which is much different than other organization's training programs.

The best part of working there was project reviews, when we had the opportunity to speak directly with senior management. My division President was actually a great guy who was open to many ideas, but he was so far removed from the day-to-day (and several levels of management away from me) that he never saw how bad things really were, or that ideas he approved were never carried out.

Cons

Let me first say that I actually left on good terms with the company and have gone back to visit my projects several times (though my project manager, sales manager, and many others within my division have left since I did) -- so I'm not a scorned or fired employee, I just want people to have realistic expectiations for what they are getting into.

Working at Toll Brothers was literally the worst job I've ever had. However, due to the size of the organization, I think there is a big difference in your experience depending on what region you work in.

The company culture is just awful. A true example of being poorly run from the top down. Because I worked at some of the most prestigious projects, I had regular face time with Zvi, who was not at all nice. Bruce Toll yelled at one of our sales associate's for not immeadiately recognizing him (typical, do you know who I am?!). Everything is run by fear and demoralizing their employees. Definitely experienced yelling and cursing from senior management, and everyone is constantly terrified, ultimately causing blame to be shifted around endlessly.

Extreme understaffing -- management's demands were just unreasonable. Two sales people running two very busy projects cannot be expected to answer the phones (would not even give us a receptionist, or even a temp), show the models, write contracts, plan and attend events (required at least one per week), stuff brochures, send out postcards/do marketing, etc. Resulted in working 6-7 days per week. My sales manager also paid out of her own pocket to have someone come in and stuff brochures, file, and handle other tasks we couldn't get to.

Extreme disregard for your personal life -- vacations were virtually unheard of, worked late on Monday nights (generally 12+ hour days), and I was explicitly told on multiple occaisions that I was not allowed to EVER take a lunch break.

Way, way too much paperwork. Their contract database is extremely old, cumbersome and difficult to use.

Tons of red tape within the organization. Everyone is terrified to approve anything, so nothing ever gets accomplished.

Almost no room for advancement once you get to Sales Manager, but your salary could increase depending on what project you work at.

Sometimes you have to spend money to make money -- stop being so cheap with staffing, there are other ways to cut costs. You should let the sales people SELL, and not force them into so many other roles.

There is also a noticeable lack of concern for customer satasfaction, and too much focus on company dollars, that will ultimately lead to unhappy homeowners and failure of the organization.

America's OK luxury home builder .

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at Toll Brothers full-time for more than a year

Pros

Comfortable work atmosphere, easy to use contracts, forms, letters, and company interface smooth and easy to use, coworkers were nice and interacted well between all levels of management and the building process.

Cons

Too focused on cheesy selling techniques and homebuyer functions that only brought the same people every time, always about the bottom line but the economy was bad and people were taking longer, "go sell something"- really?, switched sales managers between locations too frequently.

You would tell us to sell but then get in the way of closing a deal or would give too much to the potential homebuyer that made us look desperate. As a sales associate I called potentials and kept homebuyers updated on building process, but when I took over contracts and you didn't give any of the commission to me I wondered why I was doing my work at all. You also moved sales managers around the community so frequently it was hard for me to ever learn their methods for sales and instead had to focus on the way they organized files, contracts, etc. It was very frustrating because I felt like the higher ups were never happy with our numbers no matter how well we did.

There are newer employer reviews for Toll Brothers

Worked for Toll Brothers? Contribute to the Community!