Toll Brothers

www.tollbrothers.com
  www.tollbrothers.com
There are newer employer reviews for Toll Brothers

Up's and Down's with Toll Brothers

I worked at Toll Brothers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

For the most part, the homeowners, office staff and construction staff are good to work with.

Cons

Upper management doesn't have good people skills and can be much too demanding most of the time. * hours is not enough...10 hours is not enough...12 hours is not enough. Always want more than you can give. That's why many very good managers and other staff have left.

Be kinder and gentler to your quality staff members, regardless of which area they work in. Yes, you CAN always hire new people, but retaining your current staff who are good at what they do should be your priority, and when I worked for Toll, that was not an option. Now however, I understand all the nasty upper management have either left or were asked to leave. THAT is a good thing.....too bad I no longer live by Toll Brother communities or I would love to go back to work for them.

90 Other Employee Reviews for Toll Brothers (View Most Recent)

Great Members, Good Managers, and Poor Pay

I worked at Toll Brothers part-time

Pros

Members of the club treat the staff very well. The tips help to make the pay more reasonable, and management is flexible with hours.

Cons

The hourly rate is more than most servers make, but Toll Bros charges a service charge on all checks, which doesn't go to the servers. 12 hour shifts are the norm, and breaks are few and far between.

Worst job I've ever had

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Toll Brothers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked as a sales associate at three gorgeous, very high-end properties (all homes $1 million - $5 million). Met some decent people working there -- lots of bonding over mutual hate and mistrust towards the organization.

Decent sales training, though the national sales trainer is HORRIBLE. While it is definitely cheesy, they do focus on relationship selling and the sales process, which is much different than other organization's training programs.

The best part of working there was project reviews, when we had the opportunity to speak directly with senior management. My division President was actually a great guy who was open to many ideas, but he was so far removed from the day-to-day (and several levels of management away from me) that he never saw how bad things really were, or that ideas he approved were never carried out.

Cons

Let me first say that I actually left on good terms with the company and have gone back to visit my projects several times (though my project manager, sales manager, and many others within my division have left since I did) -- so I'm not a scorned or fired employee, I just want people to have realistic expectiations for what they are getting into.

Working at Toll Brothers was literally the worst job I've ever had. However, due to the size of the organization, I think there is a big difference in your experience depending on what region you work in.

The company culture is just awful. A true example of being poorly run from the top down. Because I worked at some of the most prestigious projects, I had regular face time with Zvi, who was not at all nice. Bruce Toll yelled at one of our sales associate's for not immeadiately recognizing him (typical, do you know who I am?!). Everything is run by fear and demoralizing their employees. Definitely experienced yelling and cursing from senior management, and everyone is constantly terrified, ultimately causing blame to be shifted around endlessly.

Extreme understaffing -- management's demands were just unreasonable. Two sales people running two very busy projects cannot be expected to answer the phones (would not even give us a receptionist, or even a temp), show the models, write contracts, plan and attend events (required at least one per week), stuff brochures, send out postcards/do marketing, etc. Resulted in working 6-7 days per week. My sales manager also paid out of her own pocket to have someone come in and stuff brochures, file, and handle other tasks we couldn't get to.

Extreme disregard for your personal life -- vacations were virtually unheard of, worked late on Monday nights (generally 12+ hour days), and I was explicitly told on multiple occaisions that I was not allowed to EVER take a lunch break.

Way, way too much paperwork. Their contract database is extremely old, cumbersome and difficult to use.

Tons of red tape within the organization. Everyone is terrified to approve anything, so nothing ever gets accomplished.

Almost no room for advancement once you get to Sales Manager, but your salary could increase depending on what project you work at.

Sometimes you have to spend money to make money -- stop being so cheap with staffing, there are other ways to cut costs. You should let the sales people SELL, and not force them into so many other roles.

There is also a noticeable lack of concern for customer satasfaction, and too much focus on company dollars, that will ultimately lead to unhappy homeowners and failure of the organization.

There are newer employer reviews for Toll Brothers