If you're not motivated by cash and can't give 100% dedication, avoid this company

Current Employee - Professional Clothier  in  Boston, MA
Current Employee - Professional Clothier in Boston, MA

I have been working at Tom James Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

Discount on semi-decent clothes
Opportunity to make a lot of money
Some freedom to plan your schedule
Simple to learn how to sell their product
Fun to be out of the office for most the day
Customer sales requires one on one engagement with top executives

Cons

Don't be surprised when you come to the conclusion that this company just might be a modern-day cult in the form of a corporation.

I had to wear their clothes, recite daily affirmations in front of others ("I can see the money coming into my bank account"), and recruit new members. I had to keep a binder full of images of things I wanted to buy once I was successful. I also attended a sales conference where, as a "rookie" we were taught by a former pastor how to schedule our day including when to wake-up, spend time with our family, eat, work, sleep. I witnessed "successful" sales people getting on stage to give their testimonial of how Tom James has changed their life, saving them from moral and financial ruin.

While I was quick to think "these people are nuts!", I later came to realize that it was really a matter of this company and job not being for me. I noticed that those who excelled and really stuck with Tom James tended to be people who previously lacked discipline and hadn't yet found success in their lives.

But note, some people are VERY successful in this company and that is great. What isn't great is their showcasing in your face all that they have acquired as a result of their success (cars, houses, trips...) in hopes that you will become motivated and inspired to do the same.

So, it made sense that a company that offers full life planning and holds you accountable for your own success would be attractive to certain individuals.

On other notes:
I only visited two offices, but like others have mentioned, it was a depressing nightmare - extremely outdated technology, worn-down fixtures, and embarrassingly dated training materials (we're talking VHS).

Don't be fooled, there is a hint of a pyramid set-up here. Nothing illegal, but a hierarchy of commissions and cuts that flow upwards as you build out your own sales team.

Expect the company to provide a response to these points, as they should. But be sure to understand exactly what they are saying. Nothing in my review is false or in any way exaggerated. It is all based on my personal experience with the firm.

Avoid the intimidation tactic of retaining and motivating employees. Provide better prospecting tools.

Other Reviews for Tom James Company

100 % commission

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at Tom James Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

you learn how to run a business

Cons

no money, 100 % commissions, unprofessional work environment.

people need a base salary to live in

Good starter job

I worked at Tom James Company full-time

Pros

gain experience that translates well to a lot of other sales settings. Company does a great job of teaching you goal setting and hard work. Get to work with successful people and build great connections. Great reward trips and opportunity to make good money from the first month if you have a good start.

Cons

it is a constant hustle, every month it starts over from the beginning (straight commissions) and people tend to burn out . Very high turn over since the people that are actually successful from the get go are few and far between, but sales for the company stay constant since other reps will just take over the clients of people that left. Required to constantly be face for company for mistakes, timing issues, etc, which leads to a lot of apologizing and begging for sales.

take better care of your employees, consider reimbursing for expenses, and get more support for factories

There are newer employer reviews for Tom James Company.

Worked for Tom James Company? Contribute to the Community!