Tom James Company

Principal Centered Company

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Tom James Company

Pros

After 3 years with TJ, I feel qualified to give honest feedback. When I started, I didn’t think that I would be with TJ for my whole career. I was just taking a job. I realized that this company is not an ordinary company - it is based on principals. I learned very quickly to either apply these principals or disregard them. I am thankful that I have chosen to apply the principals. As with any career, they will work very successfully if they are applied. I have been blessed because of my clients, my hard work and my support from accounting, our factories and my leadership. Since I have been with TJ, I have been able to buy a new house, a new car and travel all over, which has all happened during a very difficult economic time. All this has been accomplishable not because of me, but because of applying principals. I believe in the motto “you don’t build companies, you build people and people build companies.” I am thankful to be a part of this company.

Cons

This is a client building business. There is no question that my first year took a great deal of work. Much like a first year lawyer at a major law firm or a doctor in the first year of their practice, you must build a great foundation. This job will also have a tendency to cause your weaknesses to surface, which for me was beneficial - it helped me to realize what I needed to work on. Lastly, this is a client building business, so I did have to learn how to take client criticism properly. I now realize they weren't trying to criticize me, they were just trying to help me grow.

Please continue to grow people by tying them to principals.

82 Other Employee Reviews for Tom James Company (View Most Recent)

Tom James is an incredible place to build a career!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Tom James Company

Pros

I have been at Tom James for 6 years and it has been an incredible experience. What attracted me to Tom James was the idea of having my own business with the support of a big company. The clientele that we get to work with are the finest in the city. They are not only extremely successful; they are intelligent, charismatic and keep a great attitude on life. My favorite part is getting to know these wonderful people and then providing them with gorgeous clothing.

Cons

The cons of any sales job is you are your own worst enemy. I have a struggle of taking the pressure off myself. As a company they are good at giving recognition and of course, that always makes me want to do better each time.

The other con is the company can put pressure on you to get into management. However, if you are firm with how you stand, in the end they respect your opinion.

I have a wonderful manager-keep up the great work! I feel very confident with Tom James and my career with this company.

sales rep

Current Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at Tom James Company

Pros

make your own daily schedule; your clients, for the most part are presidents, CEO's, and other top positions in companies.

Cons

You have to get your own clients by cold-calling, approaching them on the street, or begging for referrals. Some people should not be put in leadership roles.

There should be a higher commission and paid vacation time. If the sales reps are using their personal phone for work, then there should be some compensation for that.

There are newer employer reviews for Tom James Company