There are newer employer reviews for Tom James Company

Tom James is an incredible place to build a career!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Tom James Company

Pros

I have been at Tom James for 6 years and it has been an incredible experience. What attracted me to Tom James was the idea of having my own business with the support of a big company. The clientele that we get to work with are the finest in the city. They are not only extremely successful; they are intelligent, charismatic and keep a great attitude on life. My favorite part is getting to know these wonderful people and then providing them with gorgeous clothing.

Cons

The cons of any sales job is you are your own worst enemy. I have a struggle of taking the pressure off myself. As a company they are good at giving recognition and of course, that always makes me want to do better each time.

The other con is the company can put pressure on you to get into management. However, if you are firm with how you stand, in the end they respect your opinion.

I have a wonderful manager-keep up the great work! I feel very confident with Tom James and my career with this company.

80 Other Employee Reviews for Tom James Company (View Most Recent)

sales rep

Current Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at Tom James Company

Pros

make your own daily schedule; your clients, for the most part are presidents, CEO's, and other top positions in companies.

Cons

You have to get your own clients by cold-calling, approaching them on the street, or begging for referrals. Some people should not be put in leadership roles.

There should be a higher commission and paid vacation time. If the sales reps are using their personal phone for work, then there should be some compensation for that.

Company in Need of Internal Changes

Current Employee - Wholesale Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Wholesale Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Tom James Company

Pros

Day to day freedom in work responsibility. Financially Stable Company. Profitable. Very sales driven. Industry leader in apparel sales. Mainly US manufacturer. Continues to grow in profitability and sales.

Cons

Many people complain of being underpaid for the amount of responsibilities given to them. Creativity and "thinking outside the box" is squelched. Company has the perception in the industry as selling low quality products with a "snake oil salesman" approach. Different divisions compete against each other for the same shrinking market. They have the philosophy of paying low salaries to motivate you to sell more. Instead you feel burned out and taken advantage of.

Raise the level of pay to be able to get and retain quality people. Hire people outside the company with proven track records in branding, manufacturing and merchandising.

There are newer employer reviews for Tom James Company