There are newer employer reviews for Tom James Company

Tom James is an incredible place to build a career!

I have been working at Tom James Company

Pros

I have been at Tom James for 6 years and it has been an incredible experience. What attracted me to Tom James was the idea of having my own business with the support of a big company. The clientele that we get to work with are the finest in the city. They are not only extremely successful; they are intelligent, charismatic and keep a great attitude on life. My favorite part is getting to know these wonderful people and then providing them with gorgeous clothing.

Cons

The cons of any sales job is you are your own worst enemy. I have a struggle of taking the pressure off myself. As a company they are good at giving recognition and of course, that always makes me want to do better each time. The other con is the company can put pressure on you to get into management. However, if you are firm with how you stand, in the end they respect your opinion.

Advice to Management

I have a wonderful manager-keep up the great work! I feel very confident with Tom James and my career with this company.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. A GREAT Place to work and Build a Long Term Career!

I have been working at Tom James Company

Pros

It's like building your own business from scratch, with someone else footing the bill. All of the expenses of starting your own business are covered by the Company. It's a client building business, and once you establish a clientele, the job becomes very simple. Most people no longer make any cold calls after their first 18 months, unless they opt for leadership and training opportunities. You have the ability to build an organization of people to work for you and the average income per person you hire is $9K per year. Very Nice! It is truly a work place that you can honestly can call home. I will never work anywhere else.

Cons

Like any client building business, it is hard work in the beginning. You have to prospect and make phone calls to get started. The Company provides all the tools and resources to begin your career, but you have to do the work. There isn't any micro managing, so your success depends on your own self discipline. If you need someone to babysit you and tell you to go to work every day, then this job isn't for you.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.! Tom James is a company that is run on principles and positive attitudes. The Company has been around for over 44 years, and the average incomes of a typical 5 year sales reps is well over $100K per year. The Company is financially solid and the stock value has maintained consistency despite this economic times. There are very few companies that didn't have decreases in 2008 and 2009.

sales rep

Current Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at Tom James Company

Pros

make your own daily schedule; your clients, for the most part are presidents, CEO's, and other top positions in companies.

Cons

You have to get your own clients by cold-calling, approaching them on the street, or begging for referrals. Some people should not be put in leadership roles.

Advice to Management

There should be a higher commission and paid vacation time. If the sales reps are using their personal phone for work, then there should be some compensation for that.