Tomax

There are newer employer reviews for Tomax

Good people, slow-moving company

Current Employee - Java Developer in Salt Lake City, UT
Current Employee - Java Developer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Tomax full-time

Pros

Relaxed, good location, nice building

Cons

Very little training or communication between management and their teams.

46 Other Employee Reviews for Tomax (View Most Recent)

Great place to get experience, then RUN!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Tomax full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great location downtown, good hard working people in the ranks, good place to get experience...whether you are fresh out of college or updating your skillset, Tomax is a good place to get a start in IT/Software.

Pretty good PTO policy

Culture was good, very open-minded, good-hearted people work at this company.

Cons

Turnover is a huge problem at Tomax. The pay is below average, even for Utah's market, so rather than attracting/retaining the best talent in the valley, it attracts people who are just competent enough to get through the interview process and do their jobs (AND accept low pay). This is obviously a generalization, there are many extremely smart and talented people within the company who are keeping it afloat, but as the economy continues to improve in SLC, I imagine many of them will get fed up and find a better situation at a different company.

The quality of the software leaves something to be desired.

Technology choices are poor, employees don't have the tools they need to be effective. There is a point where being smart fiscally devolves into being cheap, Tomax has passed that line by a mile. It is counter productive for a so called "cloud" company (ha).

Employees are over-worked, there was pressure to exceed 40 hours a week the entire time I worked there, comp-time was non-existent for those extra hours worked.

I did not realize how dysfunctional many of the processes were until I left the company for a new opportunity.

Start caring about YOUR PEOPLE. Find ways to attract, and more importantly RETAIN the best talent. Increase starting salaries, give better bonuses to the contributors. Be more innovative with technology choices. Find a way to leave a better taste in the mouth of former employees. Trust me word gets around in such a small market.

Silo company that is trying to grow into adulthood

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Tomax full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Offices are nicely design and laid out. The building is cool and has a small gym in the basement with showers. Company promotes fitness and healthy lifestyle for all of its employees. The company get together are fun and are done often.

Cons

The departments with in the company do not talk to each other and cases of the duplicate work done with in the company are often. The attitude of its not my problem is through out the company, and nobody is willing to take responsibility for anything that is not in their immediate sphere of responsibilities.

There are newer employer reviews for Tomax