There are newer employer reviews for Tommy Bahama

Once a great company, now a good company that's experiencing some growing pains

Former Employee - Restaurant (Not Clothing)
Former Employee - Restaurant (Not Clothing)

I worked at Tommy Bahama full-time

Pros

Employee Benefits and Discounts, lots of great clothing allowances, 'small company feel', open door communication (at store level), strong sense of culture and purpose, pride in brand/image/quality, Promote-from-within approach gives good opportunity for growth, decent pay (if you're married with kids, see below), extraordinarily smart and intuitive players in upper management that effectively motivate subordinates, very 'clean' restaurant environments free of drug/alcohol abusers, free of sexual harassment and inappropriate sexual behaviors/relationships, the company hires and fosters an environment of more professional players than most restaurants by focusing on character and personality rather than just hiring on credentials and prior experience.

Cons

getting too corporate- still communicating pre-corporate values/ideals/norms to store-level managers and employees that are false and/or misleading, also still holding onto old-school expectations and values, unintentionally (or secretly intentionally) fostering a environment where pride is taken in being overworked, being sacrificial for the company. A true 'work-life balance' is something that HR talks about, but store-level managers and even some upper level managers disregard with some distain as weakness or the attitude of 'those people who are not 'one of us'- in other words, the stereotypical restaurant environment of old. Upper management finds the thin line between maximum productivity and 'the breaking point' and adjusts the line according to what each individual is willing to give, resulting in unfair and abusive double-standards. Singles beware: You'll work much harder/put in more hours for less pay than some family men and women around you that may or may not be more effective in their jobs, as upper management types are very family-oriented and like to accommodate those alike.

Refer back to an old company motto/value once held but not recently demonstrated, 'Simple is Better', quit running the management teams short-staffed or taking other shortcuts to improving the bottom line that end up killing the culture and long term health of the brand. Give more resources for training and development and give the store-level employees a voice or a feedback loop before instituting the decisions made from a small handful of upper-managers.

134 Other Employee Reviews for Tommy Bahama (View Most Recent)

Overall, A Good Company

I have been working at Tommy Bahama full-time for less than a year

Pros

Higher employee discount both in store and restaurant.
    Great paid vacation

Cons

I dislike that our return policy is too generous. I believe guests should not return worn clothing without tag and get money back or exchange. People are obviously getting spoiled and taking our return policy for granted.

Need some fix on the return policy.

Love my job!

I have been working at Tommy Bahama full-time

Pros

Tommy Bahama is the best company that I have ever worked for. Work life balance actually exists here - it is amazing! The benefits are great, my work is interesting, my coworkers are awesome and supportive, I am constantly learning. I hope to stay a very long time.

Cons

Systems are a little antiquated but I've seen worse.

Keep on doing what you are doing!

There are newer employer reviews for Tommy Bahama

Worked for Tommy Bahama? Contribute to the Community!