There are newer employer reviews for Tommy Bahama

Great retail company to work for

I have been working at Tommy Bahama

Pros

Great benefits, fun environment and very down to earth and accessible corporate management. Better pay and incentives than many companies out there and they do give raises to employees based on yearly employee performance evaluations.

Cons

Yes there is a black out calendar, but if you have worked in retail for any amount of time you should already expect this. No company is perfect, but they do value their employees much more than some other companies that I have worked for and heard about. As far as retail goes, any cons pale in comparison to many other companies out there.

Don't let an overzealousness for organization of operations get in the way of what we do best. Our guest comes in for an experience and it is what drives our sales. Some of the other logistical things could threaten to get in the way of that if we're not careful. Also, our employees thrive on contests and incentives, so keep them attainable and interesting.
Keep up the great energy at corporate and I'm sure the team will continue to follow suite. Overall, glad to be working for a corporate team who is in tune with their employees and their customer!

136 Other Employee Reviews for Tommy Bahama (View Most Recent)

PARADISE LOST - Once the BEST work environment, Abercrombie corporate "leaders" have destroyed morale and core values.

Current Employee - Floor Supervisor
    Current Employee - Floor Supervisor

I have been working at Tommy Bahama full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There aren't many positives left. The best thing this company has left is ATO, (Aloha Time Off) or vacation time. All full-time and salaried employees get a little over 5 hours per pay period. This adds up to more than 130 hours per year, or approximately more than 3.25 weeks of vacation time per year. This increases after 4 years of continuous employment. Act fast, as I'm sure they will eliminate this soon. Their cheap and tacky ways are increasing day by day.

Cons

Guests are now absolutely last on the never-ending list of busy-work. There are constant lists to check, forms to initial, e-mails to read, entries to make, contests and sweepstakes to learn about, talk about. There is no time left to focus on the wonderful clientele the company once had. They tell you to focus on guests, but leave you no time to do that, as you are continually tasked to death. They're abandoning this once-excellent company's exceptionally wonderful clientele. They (clientele) don't like the changes either. Many long-time regulars are no longer frequenting the store. At one time, there were no "cons," only "pros." It would have been difficult to say which "pro" was at the top of the list: Awesome guests, awesome management, awesome company, awesome benefits, awesome environment, awesome energy... it's all gone. Micro-management is the order of the day. Oh, you didn't know? I guess you didn't read your e-mails every 15 minutes, or check your ShiftNote every hour, or join the conference call every other day, or read your Retail Daily Communications Log. Oh, you did? You didn't mark it as read. You didn't reply. You didn't make enough entries. You didn't initial 57 times on your 5 different checklists. What's that? You tripled your goal today? You took great care of your guests today and made lots of money for the company, but you didn't initial your checklist? BAD BAD BOYS AND GIRLS.

Advice to management is a waste of breathe. Nobody will listen. Once the company is destroyed, they'll move on to destroy something else. New hires are all in 20's age group. This is not even close to the demographic that shops Tommy Bahama. Parent company Oxford Industries should take notice. Their crown jewel is being destroyed from the inside out. Extremely sad.

Not Terrible, But This Won't Be Your Favorite Job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Tommy Bahama full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good deals on clothes, plenty of vacation days and decent salaries. OK work balance, but nothing special. The company is growing and doing well financially.

Cons

The people in upper management were hired when the company was small and it shows sometimes. They probably know it and are touchy because new ideas are usually unwelcome and even career limiting. The other comments about HR are right on, the leaders seem unapproachable and cold.

They don't spend a lot on employees. The medical benefits are expensive and don't compare to other non-retail companies. Some of the other things are less important, but holiday parties are typically held in a chilly warehouse with no +1 and forget about things like new hire welcome lunches or regularly upgraded computers.

It might be time for some of you to step down.

There are newer employer reviews for Tommy Bahama

Worked for Tommy Bahama? Contribute to the Community!