Tommy Bahama
www.tommybahama.com Seattle, WA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Tommy Bahama gives every opportunity to learn and grow if you want it.

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
Saint Petersburg, FL

ProsTommy Bahama is a casual, laid back atmosphere. It's a fun place to work. Most stores are properly staffed so even if you are in a high traffic store, there is more than enough people to handle the guests in the store. Management respects everyone on the team, and communication is easy. They are more than accomidating on scheduling around your personal life. They don't mind if you are a few minutes late, so long as you call if you are going to be more than 5 minutes. The guests we serve are our friends. The same people come back each month and you build great relationships with them. Pay is on the high end of retail, and it's an hourly pay without a commission structure. That way, there isn't a fight over stealing sales. You work as a team. You do have a daily sales goal, but you aren't repremanded if you don't reach it. Salespeople get a bonus if the store's monthly goal is met and exceeded. It's up to 15% of the pay you recieved during the month in which the goal was met. Training is provided and sometimes it's a little boring, but they are trying to get everyone on the same basic level of competency. Managers get to go to the Seattle home office once a year, and some regions send managers to a day long retreat with other managers where they recap the past year and get you excited about new things. Upper management cares. The Vice President of Retail visits the stores at least twice a year and you can talk to him as if what you say matters. Over the past couple years, they haven't been opening as many stores, so advancement was a bit slower than normal. However, they are slated to open 10+ stores and at least one restaurant a year for the next several years, so if you are willing to relocate, you can get to a managment level within a year or two even if you start as a salesperson. You will be happy if you can do the same things every single day and can overlook some minor annoyances.

ConsSome days are very slow where hours can go by and you don't see anybody. The stores are maticulously kept up. Be prepared to steam, fold, and dust a lot. If a guest tears up a stack of perfectly folded shirts, you have to refold everyone as soon as you can. Some associates I work with don't care, while others take it personally. lol If you can't handle 7 1/2 hours standing, this job isn't for you. Yearly pay raises are capped and nearly everyone get the same percent raise, regardless of their performance. There isn't much room to grow after you get to the Store Manager level. You can advance on to bigger locations if you are willing to relocate, but you have to be content with just being a store manager as this is the end of the advancements at Tommy Bahama.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake advantage of technology. Every store should have a webcam and high speed internet so we can have video conferencing. This would save so much money on expenses related to travel and lodging. As far as the internet is concerned, I'd rather you restrict access to the web vs. giving us full access, but only giving us dial up speeds. So much of our daily computer work relies on us sitting there staring at the screen waiting for reports to download. It isn't cost effective. Also- our POS is way outdated, but you already know that.

Trouble in PARADISE

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

I worked at Tommy Bahama

Pros: Fun, nicely appointed office. Adequate benefits. Ample vacation time. … Cons: The senior leadership team is a closed fraternity which seeks input from a very small handful of people. They churn and burn those who… Advice to Senior Management: Listen to your people. Take the Lanier approach not the Wood… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Overall, great company to work for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

I worked at Tommy Bahama

Pros: Great work/life balance, the company is great at supporting vacation time and family time. The discount… Cons: There is too much upper management, too many VP's. It's quite top heavy, and some management is… Advice to Senior Management: If you ask people to work twice as hard (less people doing more… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Tommy Bahama.

Worked for Tommy Bahama? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Tommy Bahama reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Tommy Bahama CEO Terry R. Pillow. All reviews posted anonymously by Tommy Bahama employees.