Tommy Bahama

www.tommybahama.com
There are newer employer reviews for Tommy Bahama

Tommy Bahama gives every opportunity to learn and grow if you want it.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Saint Petersburg, FL
Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Tommy Bahama

Pros

Tommy Bahama is a casual, laid back atmosphere. It's a fun place to work. Most stores are properly staffed so even if you are in a high traffic store, there is more than enough people to handle the guests in the store. Management respects everyone on the team, and communication is easy. They are more than accomidating on scheduling around your personal life. They don't mind if you are a few minutes late, so long as you call if you are going to be more than 5 minutes. The guests we serve are our friends. The same people come back each month and you build great relationships with them. Pay is on the high end of retail, and it's an hourly pay without a commission structure. That way, there isn't a fight over stealing sales. You work as a team. You do have a daily sales goal, but you aren't repremanded if you don't reach it. Salespeople get a bonus if the store's monthly goal is met and exceeded. It's up to 15% of the pay you recieved during the month in which the goal was met. Training is provided and sometimes it's a little boring, but they are trying to get everyone on the same basic level of competency. Managers get to go to the Seattle home office once a year, and some regions send managers to a day long retreat with other managers where they recap the past year and get you excited about new things. Upper management cares. The Vice President of Retail visits the stores at least twice a year and you can talk to him as if what you say matters. Over the past couple years, they haven't been opening as many stores, so advancement was a bit slower than normal. However, they are slated to open 10+ stores and at least one restaurant a year for the next several years, so if you are willing to relocate, you can get to a managment level within a year or two even if you start as a salesperson. You will be happy if you can do the same things every single day and can overlook some minor annoyances.

Cons

Some days are very slow where hours can go by and you don't see anybody. The stores are maticulously kept up. Be prepared to steam, fold, and dust a lot. If a guest tears up a stack of perfectly folded shirts, you have to refold everyone as soon as you can. Some associates I work with don't care, while others take it personally. lol If you can't handle 7 1/2 hours standing, this job isn't for you. Yearly pay raises are capped and nearly everyone get the same percent raise, regardless of their performance. There isn't much room to grow after you get to the Store Manager level. You can advance on to bigger locations if you are willing to relocate, but you have to be content with just being a store manager as this is the end of the advancements at Tommy Bahama.

Take advantage of technology. Every store should have a webcam and high speed internet so we can have video conferencing. This would save so much money on expenses related to travel and lodging. As far as the internet is concerned, I'd rather you restrict access to the web vs. giving us full access, but only giving us dial up speeds. So much of our daily computer work relies on us sitting there staring at the screen waiting for reports to download. It isn't cost effective. Also- our POS is way outdated, but you already know that.

152 Other Employee Reviews for Tommy Bahama (View Most Recent)

Trouble in PARADISE

I worked at Tommy Bahama

Pros

Fun, nicely appointed office. Adequate benefits. Ample vacation time. Discounted clothing. Leader in the industry with respect to fashion and apparel.

Cons

The senior leadership team is a closed fraternity which seeks input from a very small handful of people. They churn and burn those who constructively challenge the establishment. The turnover in the company is ridiculously high, particularly in the Retail group. Look at those with VP in their title and you will see not competence or leadership, rather a lot of brown noses.

Listen to your people. Take the Lanier approach not the Wood approach to managing issues and resolving conflict. Live by the PARADISE mantra.

Overall, great company to work for.

I worked at Tommy Bahama

Pros

Great work/life balance, the company is great at supporting vacation time and family time. The discount is better than most, and who wouldn't want to work for a company that makes resort wear?

Cons

There is too much upper management, too many VP's. It's quite top heavy, and some management is slow to give praise where it is due. There are also some terrific managers, but it's a mix.

If you ask people to work twice as hard (less people doing more work), that is fine, but reward them financially and with praise when it's due.

There are newer employer reviews for Tommy Bahama