Topco Associates

www.topco.com

Culture of Fear! RUNNNNNN FAR FAR AWAY.

Former Employee - Food Technologists  in  Skokie, IL
Former Employee - Food Technologists in Skokie, IL

Pros

Good Vacation Benefits, Free Food

Cons

When I was first hired, I was promised good learning opportunites and the ability to train in different areas. But there was no time to learn anything. They need more people to get the job done properly. I worked in the lab and the micromanagement style there was so clausterpobic. It is run by a V.P. who tries to implement too many changes too quickly and who ignores you/gives you the silent treatment if you make a mistake. Many people told me my first week there that you know that you haven't worked for Topco if "You haven't cried at least once at Work." At least 30% of the food techologists have quit in the past 2 years.

The company has poor planning and poor communication. For example, they spent tens of thousands of dollars on a new lab but then ended up moving to a new building.

Other reviews for Topco Associates

Great Learning experience. Great place to begin a career and, take knowledge to other companies.

Former Employee - Buyer's Assistant/Member Service Associate  in  Skokie, IL
    Former Employee - Buyer's Assistant/Member Service Associate in Skokie, IL

Pros

Provide tools needed to advance in your career. I started in the treasury department in 2008, with very little experience. I ended in the procurement department in 2010.

Very family orientated. For example; children of co-workers allowed to trick-or-treat at the office. My kids received more candy at the office, than they ever did going door-to-door. Also, when I got married, they gave me a bridal shower.

Cons

Unfortunately, company was going through a re-constructing. Many employees forced to retire(those who have been with the company 10 + years). Company hired a lot of newer people to do the work for less money. Also, company consolidated positions. Thus, what was once done by two to three people, now being forced to be done by one.

Advice: Learn as much as you can as fast as you can. Take knowledge to another company.

Widen the channels of communication with your subordinates. The is why the treasury department ran so smoothly.

A New Company!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Skokie, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Skokie, IL

Pros

Growing business - 10 years in a row
    Changing environment - new entrepreneurial feel to the business
    New leadership team - better directors through CEO in last 2 years
    Great long term benefits - pension/401k
    Nearly recession proof business
    Did I mention new leadership? - great news
    Painful CEO is gone!

Cons

Only fair salary levels
    Mediocre raises - barely meet inflation
    Horrible building - maybe new addition coming soon
    Antiquated IT systems and policies

Keep pressing forward with the change that is starting. Don't let the long timers hold you back, move the business forward. Hurry the IT changes - they will make everyone's job better. Don't build, move instead.

There are newer employer reviews for Topco Associates.

Worked for Topco Associates? Contribute to the Community!