Topeka Capital-Journal

cjonline.com

For nine years I believed we could take the newspaper industry into a new era. We did - but not the one we had in mind.

Online Operations Manager (Former Employee) Topeka, KS

ProsFelt like I was working for a small company, even though they had locations across the country.
Upper management was approachable - they weren't elitists.
Even though my position never really changed, my income did considerably.

ConsThis company had big dreams and made big investments in an industry that wasn't growing. Flagship newspaper was dragging down the smaller properties.
After more than a decade they dumped their online strategy and turned the entire web operation over to the newsroom. They then proceeded to relive the same experiments and mistakes that had been made years before.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeek outside help for your business strategy - you need people from outside the newspaper industry who don't have a romantic passion for print. You need to understand that your product is news, not the newspaper. Quit trying to make your online products look like newspapers! Young readers have no connection to print, so why do you insist on making them see a newspaper on their phone or tablet?

Learned it the hard way

Customer Service Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Topeka Capital-Journal

Pros: Impressed with some of local management Cons: Corporate strategies are discouraging and unpredictable. Advice to Senior Management: Put yourself in their shoes. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Topeka Capital-Journal.

Worked for Topeka Capital-Journal? Contribute to the Community!