There are newer employer reviews for Toshiba America Info

An OK place to work if you don't expect support from management.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Toshiba America Info

Pros

The benefits are very, very good. They just discontinued the pension plan, which was a bummer, but the 401(k) and insurance were excellent. I believe there were 13 major holidays plus two weeks vacation, and 2 weeks sick time as well (sick time and vacation time could NOT be used interchangeably).

Cons

Toshiba is lacking in good middle management. People who are competent in their jobs are never promoted, and people who are relatively incompetent, rather than being fired, are often moved and promoted to different areas. The result is that the managers of the company often have no idea how to manage people and support their teams. The biggest reason most people leave Toshiba is due to poor management - I've confirmed this with several former coworkers. It's scary how similar our stories are, sadly. If you have no interest in advancement, keep to yourself and keep your head down and can do what you're told without giving input, you'll have a long career at Toshiba. They never fire anyone. There's a guy who's worked there 10+ years who sleeps at his desk every day, and everyone knows it, but he'll never get fired. I left because of a terrible manager, after speaking with several members of upper management and even making an HR complaint. They just listened to what I had to say, but never did anything. Two out of three members of her team left after working for her for just a few months because she was so incompetent, but Toshiba management didn't even counsel her or speak to her at all. It was just completely ignored. They completely protect their management to the point that they are willing to lose good employees rather than do anything to change the situation. There are a lot of great people at TAIS, and I enjoyed my job and performed very well. I never complained about anything until this person started. But in the end, I could not work for someone so horrible and I could not deal with a company that would do nothing, not even talk to their manager, to try to help their employees.

Mark Simons is a really nice guy and some of the executives seem pretty savvy. Yet they're so far above the fray they don't really realize what's going on. I would tell them to look at their department managers, talk to employees, bring in management training experts (not from Toshiba, from outside the company) to counsel these managers on how to work with people.

reviews filtered by

Toshiba - things people should know

Former Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in Irvine, CA

I worked at Toshiba America Info

Pros

Toshiba Japan engineers and manufactures some of the best products on the market. Tons of research and thought go into each and every product and they are not thrown together like other PC companies.

Cons

No room for growth within the organization. Poor communication from Director level down to business unit managers who "actually" run the business. Incompetence in senior level managers bogging down the business with no focus on business at hand but only concerned with their own personal gain.

Hire VP, Directors and Senior Managers who have the ability to run the business. Cut out the individuals who do not add value to the company. Promote and reward individuals who outperform others within the company. Focus on products that people in the US want versus what Toshiba Japan wants to sell.

2. Innovative Not So Much!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Toshiba America Info

Pros

Best health benefits ever. Competitive salary. Convenient location, right off the 405 freeway. Great cafeteria food and friendly cafeteria staff.

Cons

Almost no opportunity for advancement especially if you are a woman. Human resources works for upper management and conflict resolution is not handled appropriately. Lack of resources is a common problem. Outdated technology prevents employees from being effective.

Listen to your employees. Make sure HR contacts more than just one reference for new hires. Invest in morale building for lower level employees since they do the day to day work. Don't ignore issues until they are serious problems.

There are newer employer reviews for Toshiba America Info