There are newer employer reviews for Toshiba America Info

Will It Ever Change?

Former Employee - Product Brand Manager  in  Irvine, CA
Former Employee - Product Brand Manager in Irvine, CA

I worked at Toshiba America Info

Pros

While nearly all other benifits are gone base pay continues to be higher than most companies at the present time.

Cons

No 401K company contribution, no stock options, no bonuses, Canceled company sponsored retirement plan. Reduction in health benefits while increasing employee costs. Due to company being Japan based, most employees are pressured to work until 7pm or later.

It is well known that management meetings at the top are filled with high pressure and lack of respect for each other in the way they talk to each other. That filters down to the lowest levels as managers treat their subordinates with disrespect in front of their peers. Moral continues to be at an all time low.

28 Other Employee Reviews for Toshiba America Info (View Most Recent)

like any other coporate...it's bad, but is it better out there?

Current Employee - Manager  in  Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Toshiba America Info

Pros

??????
    still looking.
    people are complacent so there is not a lot of pressure. certain individuals focus their energy on anything but being a manager. Why is this a Pro? Well, for one thing, this alleviates a lot of the pressure since these managers do all the work and is highly unlikely to share their jobs for fear of their own demise.

Cons

Condescending Managers
    Managers who are worker bees rather than being managers.
    Much like all corporate, information is power.
    Hiring process stinks
    They don't promote the right people within
    they bring in people who don't know what they are doing to "get a new perspective"
    Some directors are as incompetent as the offices they sit in
    we think we are a real company, but all it is a sales operation
    product people are not empowered.
    directors and VPs who think they are managers
    the only reason people work here now is because there are few opportunities out there.
    as soon as the job market gets better, then can kiss all the good and loyal employees goodbye
    never trust a smile from anyone.
    99.99% are lemmings...no one dares to speak their minds for fear of being ridiculed in front of a group of your peers.
    There is NEVER a moment that I feel good about this place because of the management
    WHAT A JOKE!

get some real Management training!
    don't have delusions of granduer....you are not keep the company a float with your greatness
    listen to your employees when they log complaints about the managers
    if you think you can do the job all by yourself, then fire everyone and start over
    your intentions are not better than your actions.

An OK place to work if you don't expect support from management.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Toshiba America Info

Pros

The benefits are very, very good. They just discontinued the pension plan, which was a bummer, but the 401(k) and insurance were excellent. I believe there were 13 major holidays plus two weeks vacation, and 2 weeks sick time as well (sick time and vacation time could NOT be used interchangeably).

Cons

Toshiba is lacking in good middle management. People who are competent in their jobs are never promoted, and people who are relatively incompetent, rather than being fired, are often moved and promoted to different areas. The result is that the managers of the company often have no idea how to manage people and support their teams. The biggest reason most people leave Toshiba is due to poor management - I've confirmed this with several former coworkers. It's scary how similar our stories are, sadly. If you have no interest in advancement, keep to yourself and keep your head down and can do what you're told without giving input, you'll have a long career at Toshiba. They never fire anyone. There's a guy who's worked there 10+ years who sleeps at his desk every day, and everyone knows it, but he'll never get fired. I left because of a terrible manager, after speaking with several members of upper management and even making an HR complaint. They just listened to what I had to say, but never did anything. Two out of three members of her team left after working for her for just a few months because she was so incompetent, but Toshiba management didn't even counsel her or speak to her at all. It was just completely ignored. They completely protect their management to the point that they are willing to lose good employees rather than do anything to change the situation. There are a lot of great people at TAIS, and I enjoyed my job and performed very well. I never complained about anything until this person started. But in the end, I could not work for someone so horrible and I could not deal with a company that would do nothing, not even talk to their manager, to try to help their employees.

Mark Simons is a really nice guy and some of the executives seem pretty savvy. Yet they're so far above the fray they don't really realize what's going on. I would tell them to look at their department managers, talk to employees, bring in management training experts (not from Toshiba, from outside the company) to counsel these managers on how to work with people.

There are newer employer reviews for Toshiba America Info

Worked for Toshiba America Info? Contribute to the Community!