Toshiba

www.toshiba.co.jp
  www.toshiba.co.jp
There are newer employer reviews for Toshiba

It's a daily struggle to stay positive.

I have been working at Toshiba

Pros

The benefits are just ok.

Cons

No support from management. You are basically on your own. There is a serious morale problem due to recent cutbacks in staff and employees are worried about another layoff. Employees have a little too much on their plates to do an exceptional job, which is the minimum requirement. Nearly everything has to be done yourself in order to get things done correctly.

Be more supportive of the successes and efforts of the employee. Don't always look at the 1 item not completed and overlook the 99 others that were completed and done without fanfare.

103 Other Employee Reviews for Toshiba (View Most Recent)

Toshiba Suffers from Multiple Personality Disorder-Channel or not channel

Former Employee - Sales and Marketing in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Sales and Marketing in Irvine, CA

I worked at Toshiba

Pros

Company has a great reputation in the computer market; though it suffered from an identity crisis during my tenure. Solid product with great technology advancements...and understood that sales people should use the same products they sell.

Cons

Suffered from an identity crisis, couldn't decide to play direct or indirect channels...often competing against itself. Once the company decided to create an identity and attempt to gain channel market confidence; it couldn't decide on the products...often jumping from computers to cameras to projectors to small appliances. In end, Toshiba settled its identity problems and focused back on channel markets.

Pay attention to those that carry the load and reward them for the efforts over and above. Look beyond what's in front of them to see that it isn't always what it looks like...and invisible others are doing the work.

Lots of room for improvement

Current Employee - Worker in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Worker in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Toshiba

Pros

Toshiba America is group of companies under the Toshiba Corporation and I can only comment on the PC division (which wasn't a choice). Work/Life balance is somewhat respected and comp is mostly fair for various positions in which I am aware. Many people at the 'grunt' level (PMs, Planners, Marketers, etc.) are nice and fun to be around which makes for good work days and easy collaboration when necessary. Located in Southern California, which is a great plus, but not something you can attribute to the company per se. For the most part Senior Management are very approachable and down to earth and I believe ultimately do care about the rank and file employees.

Cons

Rampant dysfunction. Every company has it to some degree, but this place has it bad. Likely stemming from 1) Years of weak leadership/direction and continuity. Going into 4 GMs and 5 Marketing VPs since the turn of the millenium (with some having non marketing backgrounds). Singular focus on one product with little effort to diversify even to complimentary products even as the competitive landscape does. When the little effort is made, it is nearly always in response to a competitor when we used to lead the market. Tremendous amount of busy work pushed to the rank and file that is useless, unnecessary, and does not move the business forward just to show 'value'. Very top down company structure but executives are not incented to take risks so what results lately is often mediocrity or failure. 2) The inability to effectively communicate to Tokyo and convince them on the US position regarding a many and various things. Equally at fault for many of the competitive ills with Senior Mgmt. Company got drunk off of the spiked kool aid when we dominated the market in the late 90s and was extrememly slow to respond. Only now has it improved to some notable degree but perhaps it is too late as the market is hypercompetitive with bigger, better funded, and more apt for risk taking companies that now lead where we once did. and 3) HR's inability to recruit quality personnel and terminate past bad choices. For every quality person hired, I estimate that there are 2 'WTF' hires. Its like HR purposely passes over the good candidates for open reqs and looks for people that have that weird quirk that they believe can handle (or have no choice but to handle) the dysfunction because they think that the good high quality recruit will quit shortly after experiencing the dysfunction so why bother. Maybe they know this already and that's the reason. Who knows? And no one individually gets fired because they suck. The cognitive dissonance that they have on this is amazing. If they fired someone crappy, it would be an acknowledgment that they screwed up. If I were God and could let go anyone I wanted on the spot for the good of the company, I seriously think that I could cut 20% of the headcount tomorrow and there would be zero effect on the business. If that dosn't seem like much, that's just the initial 'don't even have to think about it' number. There would be more after more evaluation.

Take some risks! I know you get paid a lot and who wants to rock the boat and mess that up when you are bringing home crazy money. But at some point, you probably have enough money so hopefully you want to make a difference, make your mark, and do quality work. Have something to point to and be proud of. I did that. I made difference. I was a leader. Get rid of the dead weight. I am including me if you think that I am one of them. You know who the are. They are the people that show up at 11 and leave at 2. Don't show up to meetings or are constantly unprepared. Piss off the good folks because they mess up other people's work or opportunity. Recruit to the position and need! Stop trying to shove these square pegs in the round hole when you reorg. If they aren't qualified, send them packing! Sounds harsh but your responsibilty is to the greater good. You either have no idea how badly it affects overall morale of good people when you keep bad people here or you just don't care and don't want to deal with it. Listen to the rank and file or have a rank and file advocate that can give you our feelings. Stop pushing useless programs, policies, and busy work to us that distract us from doing our jobs. I know some of these probably get pushed down to you from Tokyo but who are you fighting for? Who are you responsible to? Just yourself and your job security or those that consider you their leader as well? Someone needs to push back up and take our position sometimes. That's you!

There are newer employer reviews for Toshiba