Total Petrochemicals and Refining USA

www.totalpetrochemicalsusa.com
  www.totalpetrochemicalsusa.com
There are newer employer reviews for Total Petrochemicals and Refining USA

A great company overall; HR needs improvement

Current Employee - Lab Chemist (La Porte Research and Technology Center)  in  La Porte, TX
Current Employee - Lab Chemist (La Porte Research and Technology Center) in La Porte, TX

I have been working at Total Petrochemicals and Refining USA

Pros

The Research and Technology center overall is a good place to work. There are opportunities to advance your career, especially if you have a master's degree or higher. I have learned a lot working here, and think it's a great way to start a career in Gas and Oil. They provide training opportunities as well. Also, the benefits package and 401k contribution is pretty good. They have a strong safety record and safety programs that are enforced very well.

Cons

Management is run differently at the Research and Technology Center than at the corporate site. I think our managers here are very good at what they do; however, the manager of human resources needs to change. She is not very professional or progressive when it comes to a research center, and employees below the supervisor level get the impression that she sees us as children that need micromanaging. We did have a different head of HR for about two years and the difference was very apparent. He was professional, and in being so gave everyone else the feeling of professionalism. A favorite saying around here is "the beatings will stop once morale improves." Management always says that they are willing to listen to the employee, and have even held meetings and such to do so. Though I have yet to see the results or outcomes of these meetings.

Bonuses and raises can be very hit or miss, depending heavily on how the company is doing, and even how your department is doing that year. Some years the bonus was a few hundred dollars; this year it was a couple thousand. And as a rule, no Christmas bonuses.

I think overall management is very competant. Managers need to act a bit more independently and need to not be afraid to do something because it might displease upper management. I think management can be unwilling to stand up for a lower-level employee because they don't want to "stir the pot."

30 Other Employee Reviews for Total Petrochemicals and Refining USA (View Most Recent)

Total is 2nd or 3rd quartile Company in terms of pay and perceived value of their employees.

Former Employee - Technical Service Engineer  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Technical Service Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Total Petrochemicals and Refining USA

Pros

The plant operators are non-union (in Houston) and easy to work with.

Cons

There is not a career plan so your future path is very uncertain and somewhat up to you, but mainly who you know. They also do not have a medical plan after retirement.

People would be much more focused if there was career a plan. Employees do not know which skills to work on, because they do not have any idea what the future will hold. The career progression is quite random and unpredictable. You keep trying hard, but you sometimes feel as if you are treading water.

Good benefits, but stifling management

Former Employee - Technical Service Engineer  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Technical Service Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Total Petrochemicals and Refining USA

Pros

They have a good benefits package and one of the best 401K matching programs. They also have a really nice flex time option. It is an alternating 980 schedule, but instead of every other Friday off, you get one Friday per month. It helps to stretch your vacation. In general, the people who work there are very qualified and knowlegeable. They used to have great safety lunches (once per quarter) and would award nice non-compensatory gifts for participation and good performance.

Cons

They are very compartmentalized, and territorial, especially between corporate and R&D. Management used inappropriate metrics for measuring employee productivity. Perception of work seemed of more value than actual work.

Allow employees to make decisions and branch beyond strict job definitions.

There are newer employer reviews for Total Petrochemicals and Refining USA

Worked for Total Petrochemicals and Refining USA? Contribute to the Community!