There are newer employer reviews for Total Wine & More

What a great way to learn about wine and teach others, too!

Former Employee - Wine Associate in Baltimore, MD
Former Employee - Wine Associate in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Total Wine & More full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Always learning about wine, spirits and beer. Team atmosphere. Monthly meetings teach about market trends. You will never be exposed to more wonderful wine than you will as a Wine Associate.

Cons

Only learning about WD and SD makes it hard to understand why customers favor National brands, if you can't compare them to WD.

Hire more people to work only weekends, so you don't burn people out by making them work every Saturday.

reviews filtered by

Everyone is looking to get out!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Total Wine & More full-time

Pros

Free wine? There were many promises made, but basically just a ploy to get you "in the door"

Cons

Long hours with minimal breaks, shifts designed with favoritism in mind, many shifts back to back, allowing sometimes as little as 4 hours sleep after travel time. No family life balance.

Training was a joke, I was assigned to a training schedule, ended up unpacking wine, then was "convinced" I was trained, and told to sign off in the book.

Ill trained management, no clear directions, borderline verbal abuse.

Threats of "this is a work at will state, we can get someone to take your place QUICK"

Store manager acting like a part time, unconcerned, disconnected employee.

Games played with inventory, hours, and sales to reflect better numbers.

Boasting of large corporate profits, then denying a 90 day review and a promised pay raise after being told I was "exceptional".

Very high turnover, everyone in the store either is visibly dissatisfied or quietly looking for another job. Luckily a customer recognized my dedication and offered me a position in his company, which I gratefully took.

All focus is on customer complaints, not employee satisfaction. Constant trimming of hours to the point that the customer is not served properly, and employees go home exhausted.

Although you ask for feedback, most are scared to give honest opinions for fear of whiplash from immediate managers. You need to take a hard look at how people are treated. Many of us are here due to the current job market, but once it gets better, you will see a mass exodus.

Pay your hard working people what they are worth, recognize the politics at the stores.

It is not all about profit and growth, but also retaining good people so you may grow properly, so please don't insult your employees with a pittance of a raise.

Would it be so bad to offer a sick day or two? You had your chance to have a long term dedicated employee, but due to the way your business is run, this person is now working for an employer that shows value and genuine concern.

Don't do it! Dont work there!

Former Employee - Director in Potomac, MD
    Former Employee - Director in Potomac, MD

I worked at Total Wine & More full-time (more than a year)

Pros

wine knowledge, discounts in stores

Cons

EVERYTHING. How long do you want me to make the list?

These bad reviews are right on target so I wanted to chime in too to let people know this stuff is true. You cant make this stuff up. The snow storm and power outages made me laugh when I read that review. It is TRUE! It’s not just disgruntled employees! I left there at the end of last year and I was one of those people who had a mandatory 50 hour week. Yep, you HAD to work 50 hours a week. Throw in a half hour for lunch and your day every day was 10 ½ hours. A very long day! Employees in general work more than 40 hours but most companies trust you that some weeks are busier than others and you do what it takes to get the job done. What actually happens is that you get so tired at the end of the day that you are not effective the last couple of hours and you clock watch. For the non-managers, you have to work 45 hours. Who does this now of days? Well, TW, I guess. Bad, bad atmosphere. Negative. Managers do not trust you. I can only speak for the corporate office but I hope that people read these reviews and stay away from this company. There are much better companies out there. The owners need to get real and act like they care. You ask any employee and you will overwhelmingly hear that the owners do not care. They will pass you in the hall and not even speak. I always thought that they could at least ACT like they liked you and not just ignore you. This was the strangest place I have ever worked. DO NOT GO THERE! If you do then dont say you were not warned.

There are newer employer reviews for Total Wine & More