Great at the store level, terrible beyond.

Current Employee - Merchandiser  in  Laguna Hills, CA
Current Employee - Merchandiser in Laguna Hills, CA

I have been working at Total Wine & More part-time for less than a year

Pros

You learn a great deal about the business, wine, beer, and spirits. The store managers and supervisors, at least where I work, are wonderful. They expect you to work hard, and they push you, but they're fair and as long as you prove you are a hard worker, you can almost become friends with them.

Cons

Upper management simply doesn't care. District managers come into the store and complain about things that were caused by their policies. Hours are determines solely by the revenue of the store, with no consideration to the amount of work that needs to be done on any given week. last week we got 2000+ cases of wine, beer, and spirits, and only 2 merchandisers were allowed to work that day because of cooperate policy. When the job wasn't done at the end of the day, the store manager closing was worried that the shipment wasn't all done, and stated that he/she (I won't specify which) was concerned that the individual would be chewed out by the district manager. This is unacceptable. Upper management should care more about running a business that can work to it's full potential than cutting costs by reducing man-hours

Store managers, stand up to cooperate for your hard working employees. Without us, you couldn't function. hard work should equate to more hours and better pay, regardless of the money being taken in.

Upper management. Stay out of the store management way and let everyone do their jobs. The company as a whole would create more review and function better without you butting into the individual stores daily business.

Other Reviews for Total Wine & More

Working toward Manager? Be careful what you wish for!

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Total Wine & More full-time for more than a year

Pros

Wine for Life and coworkers

Cons

Most inefficient company I have ever worked for. I was a manager. Scheduling is a joke. I wrote the schedule, but had to follow so many guidelines from corporate there was zero fairness or flexibility. Full time employees may be targeted at 40 hours but will get 45-50. Managers work 50. Don't want to work that many hours? Too bad. You will be replaced. You work until 11pm only to come back at 5am to unload trucks or do a pull list. Schedules are written two weeks out and your request off most likely won't be granted. You will work on your child's graduation day or when your mom is in the hospital. Very top-heavy, micro-managed company. The owners trust no one and no employee is valued. I have personally seen emails sent to the STORE email (where any employee can see them) from the owners calling teams "sh*t" and "useless". I had teams working unreal hours and shifts, coming in early, leaving late, working holidays and management doesn't care. Most managers are hired from outside the company when insiders know more about the inside workings. District Mangers pop in and spend no time with employees, not even a wave or "How are you today?" and pop back out. DM's criticize and never compliment, even if the store is tip-top. Any manager who brings up an issue with the store manager is ignored or worse, blamed. HR Captains cannot do their jobs properly. Spirit and Beer captains are not given the proper tools to compete (even though corporate is patting themselves on the back for implementing new ideas) with national brands. All in all, staying at the bottom is the safest.

You are helpless. Look to the Trone-Gods. Get rid of the BINDERS! There is tons of software to keep records and reduce paper waste!

Poor Management, Overworked Employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Potomac, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Potomac, MD

I have been working at Total Wine & More full-time

Pros

To say you worked for a growing billion dollar company.

Cons

Managers promoted with zero management experience or skills. Mandatory 45-50 hour work week, ALWAYS expect to work more. No work-life balance. Very few holidays, very low PTO. Work here if you want to give up your life working your tail off to just get yelled at by six different managers at the end of your excruciatingly long week.

At least pretend you value your employees. There are much more successful companies out there that people actually enjoy working at.

There are newer employer reviews for Total Wine & More.

Worked for Total Wine & More? Contribute to the Community!