There are newer employer reviews for Total Wine & More

Great at the store level, terrible beyond.

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Laguna Hills, CA
Current Employee - Merchandiser in Laguna Hills, CA

I have been working at Total Wine & More part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You learn a great deal about the business, wine, beer, and spirits. The store managers and supervisors, at least where I work, are wonderful. They expect you to work hard, and they push you, but they're fair and as long as you prove you are a hard worker, you can almost become friends with them.

Cons

Upper management simply doesn't care. District managers come into the store and complain about things that were caused by their policies. Hours are determines solely by the revenue of the store, with no consideration to the amount of work that needs to be done on any given week. last week we got 2000+ cases of wine, beer, and spirits, and only 2 merchandisers were allowed to work that day because of cooperate policy. When the job wasn't done at the end of the day, the store manager closing was worried that the shipment wasn't all done, and stated that he/she (I won't specify which) was concerned that the individual would be chewed out by the district manager. This is unacceptable. Upper management should care more about running a business that can work to it's full potential than cutting costs by reducing man-hours

Advice to Management

Store managers, stand up to cooperate for your hard working employees. Without us, you couldn't function. hard work should equate to more hours and better pay, regardless of the money being taken in. Upper management. Stay out of the store management way and let everyone do their jobs. The company as a whole would create more review and function better without you butting into the individual stores daily business.

Other Employee Reviews for Total Wine & More

Working toward Manager? Be careful what you wish for!

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Total Wine & More full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wine for Life and coworkers

Cons

Most inefficient company I have ever worked for. I was a manager. Scheduling is a joke. I wrote the schedule, but had to follow so many guidelines from corporate there was zero fairness or flexibility. Full time employees may be targeted at 40 hours but will get 45-50. Managers work 50. Don't want to work that many hours? Too bad. You will be replaced. You work until 11pm only to come back at 5am to unload trucks or do a pull list. Schedules are written two weeks out and your request off most likely won't be granted. You will work on your child's graduation day or when your mom is in the hospital. Very top-heavy, micro-managed company. The owners trust no one and no employee is valued. I have personally seen emails sent to the STORE email (where any employee can see them) from the owners calling teams "sh*t" and "useless". I had teams working unreal hours and shifts, coming in early, leaving late, working holidays and management doesn't care. Most managers are hired from outside the company when insiders know more about the inside workings. District Mangers pop in and spend no time with employees, not even a wave or "How are you today?" and pop back out. DM's criticize and never compliment, even if the store is tip-top. Any manager who brings up an issue with the store manager is ignored or worse, blamed. HR Captains cannot do their jobs properly. Spirit and Beer captains are not given the proper tools to compete (even though corporate is patting themselves on the back for implementing new ideas) with national brands. All in all, staying at the bottom is the safest.

Advice to Management

You are helpless. Look to the Trone-Gods. Get rid of the BINDERS! There is tons of software to keep records and reduce paper waste!

Friendly, helpful, and reasonable managers

Current Employee - Cashier in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Total Wine & More full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Many regulars, gives store a friendly, small-town feel -Managers reasonable, helpful, friendly -Friendly co-workers -Great discount

Cons

-Irregular hours -Low flexibility for asking off days -Hectic holidays

Advice to Management

Adding more regularity to schedules could improve employee sentiment.