Total Wine & More

There are newer employer reviews for Total Wine & More

Wine Associate

Former Employee - Wine Associate in Charlotte, NC
Former Employee - Wine Associate in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Total Wine & More part-time (more than an year)

Pros

They are great about helping you learn about the wines they sell. They do promote from with in but only to a certain point. After you reach a "key holder" position you really have to suck up to someone to keep moving up.

Cons

If a complaint is filed by a customer you WILL be written up even if you had no control over the situation, or even if you were doing what you were supposed to do. Three write ups and you are fired.
Don't even bother trying to go anywhere during a holiday, Black out days are the biggest hassle at Total Wine. To make it even worse the schedules for the next week are not given out until Thursday so you can't even plan for the next week.

Stand behind your employees, many of us truly do enjoy working for you. The way scheduling is done needs to be changed. A two week advance schedule would be perfect. Employees should also be able to take off on black out periods on a first come first serve basis.

164 Other Employee Reviews for Total Wine & More (View Most Recent)

Nightmare on Wine Street

Former Employee - Manager in Potomac, MD
    Former Employee - Manager in Potomac, MD

I worked at Total Wine & More full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Only thing I can come up with is Wine for Life and learning about wine.

Cons

See my review. Hard to find anything nice to say.

Don’t go there!!!! Run!! Take every bad review on here and magnify it by a million and that is how awful it is. I was an experienced manager but treated like I had never worked a day in my life. Micromanaged every single second. Work hours is 50 hours a week (mandatory) for all managers and above. So, you get a half hour for lunch and you are at work 10.5 days Monday through Friday. Now, everyone knows that as a manager, you don’t always have an 8 hour day but when you HAVE to be at work 10.5 hours a day every single day, it wears on you. Listen to this, I was given the opportunity to work a ‘normal’ 45 hour a week like everyone else below the manager grade BUT with a reduced salary. Yep, so even though I was salaried, HR was going to reduce my salary if I went from a 50 hour to 45 hour week. I used to love the Total Wine stores but since my corporate experience there it makes me not even want to go to the stores anymore. I cannot even believe that this type of management is still around. Oh, and don’t think I am afraid of hard work. I just finished a 4 week stint working 7 days a week and 11 – 12 hours a day to finish a project at work. I didn’t mind it at all. Here’s the difference, I am appreciated where I now work, I can think on my own, I am valued – makes a big difference. However, change starts from the top down and I am not sure there will be any for a very long time. Owners wont even acknowledge you. HR could be instruments of change in an organization but they breed this contempt. Get a clue!

A gold mine for the ACLU

Former Employee - Wine Associate in Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    Former Employee - Wine Associate in Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I worked at Total Wine & More full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I made many good friends there. The training is very good if you apply yourself and make the most of it.

Cons

It is almost impossible to articulate the absolute misery that is Total Wine. I started as a temp employee and eventually learned every job in the store, even though I was paid the same as someone who could barely run a register. Constantly strung along by false promises. The management is heartless and cares solely about the almighty "number". Because I could be coded for any position in the store, I would regularly have 12 hour days, switching between 3 different jobs (i.e. merchandiser, wine associate, and FETM), and still be held "accountable" if expectations were not met for one of those positions. Case and point, I spent months traveling to do store resets and inventories. When I was at my home store, I was being used as a freight mule. When my review came up, I was reviewed as a Wine Associate and got bad marks! When I asked how that was possible they said gave me no logical answer. They even had the audacity to ask me why my productivity was down a week after my father died! The final straw was when I was being courted by a distribution company my store manager sabotaged the deal in order to keep me. When I confronted him about, he lied to my face. When I said they were offering me more money, he said he could give me 60 hrs a week instead of 50. I could go on, but I think you get the point.

Brace yourselves for Karma.

There are newer employer reviews for Total Wine & More