Total Wine & More

www.totalwine.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Total Wine & More

Discount wine is good but everything else needs work

Former Employee - Senior Specialist in Potomac, MD
Former Employee - Senior Specialist in Potomac, MD

I worked at Total Wine & More full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Discount on wine
-They're trying to implement some "fun" events at corporate office
-Free wine (if you're one of the lucky ones)

Cons

-45+ hour work week
-They take themselves too seriously, like they're performing brain surgery or something
-Only get a few holidays even at corporate office
-Very cliquish atmosphere
-Health insurance options changed EVERY year for three years in a row
-Free wine is only for some people, not everyone, which creates a "have & have nots" system
-Depending on what dept you're in there is basically no chance of promotion

182 Other Employee Reviews for Total Wine & More (View Most Recent)

Positive experience

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Potomac, MD
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Potomac, MD

I worked at Total Wine & More full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great education given to all associates from the sales team up through the management teams. Fun work environment and lots of benefits to most associates.

Cons

promotions for associates below management level are decided on by AVPs and DMs and taken out of the hands of the local management staff. Normally leading to the wrong person getting the job.

Also there is lots of room for growth and promotion from management level up if your willing to relocate out west or down south. Very little chance of management growth and promotion in the north east.

Be careful how much control you give the AVPs.

Take-home lesson: study something useful in school or you might end up here.

Former Employee - Wine Associate in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Wine Associate in McLean, VA

I worked at Total Wine & More full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-If you know nothing about wine and beer, you'll learn something.
    -If you know something about wine and beer, it will be supplemented by TWM's personal portfolio.
    -Wine For Life: taking home Winery Direct products for your sales knowledge.
    -Good exercise: on your feet moving constantly for 8-10 hours a shift plus upper-body workout pulling cases and throwing freight.
    -You will learn to pity retail workers; I will never just glance past them again.
    -If your Store and Assistant managers are human, working in a given store isn't that bad.

Cons

-Excessive amount of physical labor for a position requiring a shirt and tie.
    -Working at an acceptable (i.e. sufficient to meet the needs of the store) pace basically requires unsafe practices. Be careful with your back and report damaged ladders.
    -You'll have to look long and hard to find a place that pays less, but they're usually hiring and at least you can usually trade home/family for overtime to pay the bills.
    -Little reward for good performance ($0.23 raise for being the "top wine associate"; no lie) and virtually no penalty for poor performance; if you're a hard worker, you'll pick up people's slack, if you're a slacker, welcome home.
    -Rampant cronyism from Store Manager level and upward.
    -This business is basically a small-town liquor store that has grown fast and still has the same "small" mentality at the top with a gigantic and almost entirely disconnected corporate administration in between that has no understanding of what happens at the store level.

I am amused by some of the "reply reviews" I've seen for this company and one of them inspired me to write this review. In particular, one (a 5-star review written by a manager, go figure) recommends that dissatisfied workers quit and find another job. I wholeheartedly agree and fortunately, I had the ability to do so. The only reason I took a job at TWM was for interim income while looking for a real position.

Advice to upper management? Just keep doing what you're doing. The consultant's survey we took was largely ignored despite the "analysis" that was done on it. It was a reasonable display of showing concern, but nothing changed. Turnover is expensive and I understand that had become an issue at corporate before I left. Truthfully, you don't really need to worry about turnover right now since the job market strongly favors your current practices. You'll have to change a lot of things if you really want to retain good workers.

There are newer employer reviews for Total Wine & More