Total Wine & More

There are newer employer reviews for Total Wine & More

Great Learning experience

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Tustin, CA
Current Employee - Merchandiser in Tustin, CA

I have been working at Total Wine & More part-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is a lot to learn about the culture of alcohol. From wine to beer, there is a history behind it all and you pick much of it up

Cons

The management is very biased and one sided. Quite often it is felt like they do not consider our needs when making decisions.

Scheduling should be done sooner

164 Other Employee Reviews for Total Wine & More (View Most Recent)

Challenging, but overall a positive experience

Former Employee - Manager II in Potomac, MD
    Former Employee - Manager II in Potomac, MD

I worked at Total Wine & More full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked in the corporate office, and I've never worked w/ a smarter group of people, and likely never will. I left for a different retail opportunity, and the talent level is nowhere near the same. I worked on the promotions team, which offered me the chance to manage a really talented group of people, and interact with all levels of Management. I also felt like my opinion mattered. Compensation was fine. No bonus (at the time I left for my level, this may have changed), but base pay was OK. The business model is great, and results while I was there were very good. The company feels like it is a safe place to work for long term security (if you don't burn out)

Cons

As many have noted, micro-managing was commonplace (not so much from my supervisor, but from levels above). Systems weren't great (I left in late 2012). My specific job required far too much busy work (my team was over-burdended) so I didn't have as much time to focus on big picture. Direction of the company was clear however, and as noted above w/ interaction w/ Sr Mgmt, when I could focus on big picture it was rewarding. Looking back after being gone for just over a year - I think the workload was overwhelming, and the focus was on getting tasks done. Not enough time was spent on planning and big picture, and part of that was system related.

For retail, not horrible.

Current Employee - Merchandiser
    Current Employee - Merchandiser

I have been working at Total Wine & More part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Occasionally, you will get free bottles of wine, spirits, beer, shirts, etc.
    -You learn a lot about alcohol - the wine associates are very knowledgeable. Spirits associates are trained fairly well too.
    -Most of my coworkers are very nice
    -Sometimes a fun place to work

Cons

Where to start? I've worked retail before so I know retail is bad.
    -The managers are paid very well and they do the least work. Most of their days are spent at the customer service desk assigning their tasks to everyone else. Supervisors are taught all manager's duties and paid less than half what they get paid.
    -The employees willing to brown nose get better pay and the better jobs to do
    -Doesn't matter how long the day - a thirty minute break off the clock.
    -If you work at the register, they want you to get customer e-mails. They threaten to write you up if you don't get what they believe is enough
    -Some corporate employees were GREAT but I'm convinced that most try to make the store employees as miserable as possible.
    -No schedule consistency. One week I'll work 40 hours the next, 5.
    -Holiday hours - We were told that nobody can complain, everyone will have over 50 hours (I did 70 one week). Once the holidays were over when they told me how they needed me so much, I had weeks where I had 0 hours.
    -"Beer for life" program where you become a certified beer server and receive free beer only available to full time employees. All of these employees turn the the more knowledgeable part time staff to help customers and even pick out their own beers since they are clueless.
    -Wine associates trained to sell Total Wine wines instead of national brand wines, but don't get a reward for it.
    -I witnessed a supervisor who worked harder than anybody in the store get promised a management position if she waited. She got it after 3 years and her pay was almost $20,000 less than other assistant managers that were hired from the inside. Way to keep your best employees happy Total Wine

I could keep going.

Reward productive current employees. This place makes so much money reward the ones who get it for you.

There are newer employer reviews for Total Wine & More