MEh

Former Employee - Wine Associate in Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Wine Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Total Wine & More full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

the Education on wine and Spirits is good not great. their education is biased towards house brands and you don't learn about the competing national brands.

Cons

Compensation is terrible considering the amount of knowledge you must have in a highly specialized environment such as Fine Wine and Spirits.

Advice to Management

have compensation match the areas of the country in which they open in. They pay a barely livable wage in Los Angeles, which would be fine in Texas.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. My experience with Total Wine was

Former Employee - Front End Team Member in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Front End Team Member in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Total Wine & More part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary, hours, Pay for checking id's, Wine Tastings, Knowledge about New Wines, Good Discounts

Cons

Training, Corporate Culture, Lack of Technology, Long hours, Short Breaks, Unappreciated, Lack of Communication

Advice to Management

Treat all employees the same…

An attempt at clarifying the picture.

Current Employee - Wine Team Member in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Wine Team Member in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Total Wine & More full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Having read other reviews, I must consider myself fortunate to work under a manger and assistant managers that are considerate and pleasant. Corporate leadership does indeed promote employee training in the area of product knowledge. The wine for life program is designed to get a case of varied wines home with the employee each month. When the tasting sheets are completed and turned in, a new case is presented. I am surprised how difficult it has been for me to get a case of wine tasted in a month; I am behind schedule.

Cons

Hourly wage is poor. Half of the hourly employees earn under ten dollars an hour, the other half just over that.. On a regular basis an employee is sent out to the competitor's locations to note price comparisons. Why not note as well the hourly wages of those competitors? Costco employees tell of greater satisfaction and earn significantly higher wages. At the close of the review format is a question about prospects for the company. A meaningful response to that question is not possible given the limited options. The prospect for the company is great, just observe their growth in new states. The owners are well schooled. They have come up with a successful model, part of which is to compensate employees at the lowest possible level; precisely why I would not recommend this company to a friend, assuming the friend has any options. It is sad commentary on a nation's culture when corporate ownership can rake in a fortune and compensate its employees so poorly. And this is viewed as success. Some outfit pronounced TW&M top retailer of the year!.

Advice to Management

There are two tiers to be addressed. Local Management and Corporate Management. From reviews and from observation, I feel only compassion for local management which faces oppressive hours and resultant balance of life. Corporate: My low position insulates me from knowing them. The fact they are willing to take fullest advantage of employees leaves me to credit them for business acumen and disrespect them as human beings.