Total Wine & More

There are newer employer reviews for Total Wine & More

Sales Associate Wine Team

Current Employee - Wine Associate in Vancouver, WA
Current Employee - Wine Associate in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Total Wine & More part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I work with very nice people. Very good trainingj programs, Good work invironment

Cons

I was hired part time with a promise of full time and it is not happening, I really need more hours

164 Other Employee Reviews for Total Wine & More (View Most Recent)

Nice people but you will be treated like a machine.

I have been working at Total Wine & More

Pros

You can receive good employee discounts on particular items. If you have a good manager, there is a fairly good sense of community within a store.

Cons

On weekends, it is commonplace for you to be scheduled for 10-12 hour shifts no matter the position. You are only given a 30 MINUTE BREAK THE ENTIRE DAY. This OBVIOUSLY makes for physically and mentally exhausted employees. Makes you seriously question how corporate values the well-being of its employees.

A minimum 1 hour long break is essential!!! It boggles the mind how this is not allowed!!! 10-12 hour shifts are not conducive to a happy work environment :(

Quickly becoming the Walmart of wine retail.

Current Employee - Floor Crew in Plantation, FL
    Current Employee - Floor Crew in Plantation, FL

I have been working at Total Wine & More part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great education for floor team members.

Cons

I'll start with management. Favoritism is alive and well at the store I work in. Managers have almost complete power. Perfect attendance and fantastic sales experience has not overcome the fact that the new manager at my store simply doesn't care for me. Since she took over the schedule for the store, I went from 30 hour weeks to 18, while extra hours have been passed on to other (newer) employees. She does not take suggestions, even from people who have worked at at my location for years. Four people have left in the four months she's been with us, and one fired because an assistant manager lied about him to a district manager. She is rude and condescending, and will openly bully and berate employees. I can only assume that this behavior is condoned by Total Wine, since she's been an employee for years.

Total Wine rarely promotes employees to management, preferring to hire outside the company. This results in managers who have no knowledge of wine and spirits, which causes them to make mistakes constantly. On the rare occasion that someone is promoted, they are constantly reminded that they're lucky to have risen above their ranks, and they tend to become miserable and paranoid that any mistake will cause them to be demoted.

There are safety issues all over the store that management ignores, regardless how many times it has been pointed out. We operate on a skeleton crew almost every day, which leaves no time to correct safety issues when we find them because all our time is supposed to be spend on assigned tasks or helping customers.

While I was trained very well in wine and spirits, I received almost no training when it came to using various computer programs in the store. I also begged for weeks to be taught to use the electric lift that we have, and had to use ladders to do all stocking and to fetch product from overhead stock. When it was discovered by the new manager that I was not trained, she blamed me for not pursuing it. Management NEVER takes responsibility when blame can be passed to someone else.

Many times, we work ten and twelve hour days with only a half hour break. That is a terrible company standard. Full and part time people are often required to close at 11 pm and return at 6 or 7 am the next morning. This is dangerous and stupid.

Total Wine expects your to be available for all shifts at all times, but will cut an employee down to three of five hours a week during slow periods. Part time receives little to no benefits, but part time employees are not generally allowed to take off more than a week of work, even during the slow periods.

Start listening to your employees and giving managers autonomy.

There are newer employer reviews for Total Wine & More