There are newer employer reviews for Total Wine & More

Total wine and more is amazing

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Phoenix, AZ
Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Total Wine & More part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The employee benefits are great, and the atmosphere is fun and very safe

Cons

sometimes the customers are not the nicest

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Bad memories

Former Employee - Merchandiser
    Former Employee - Merchandiser

I worked at Total Wine & More part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-There is much to learn about the product if you put in the effort. Even as a merchandiser, I think I left with a decent amount of wine knowledge.
    -I think it is very important to have a few really dreadful jobs in one's life, if only for a frame of reference.

Cons

I left this job two years ago, and nothing I have to say is unique to these reviews. Still, I felt obligated to start a glassdoor account and add to the mountain of negative reviews, just in case I can help convince anybody to avoid this nightmare.

-Poor scheduling. I like to get eight hours of sleep when I can, but often I wouldn't have that much time between shifts. Many of us wanted to work full time, but were scheduled just below 40 hours a week. It seemed a lot like management was simply trying to avoid giving us the full-time benefits and bonuses.
    -Longhours (generally 10-12 hours, sometimes 13), with one 30 minute break.
    -Much of this time is spent moving heavy cases. I thought this was a pro at first, but soon it turned from good exercise to back and shoulder problems. I recently ran into an old manager of mine who had left the company three years ago, and he said that he still suffered from Total Wine related back problems.
    -Embarrassingly aggressive bait-and-switch sales tactics. Luckily, as a merchandiser, I wasn't pushed as hard to sell Total Wine's winery direct brands as the wine associates were. Still, listening to customers being told that they didn't really want their favorite wines all day was truly draining. All the while, the managers push for more and more of these lies.
    -Spending that much time, doing that much physical labor, and in such an in-genuine environment put me in a long term daze. I was always to physically and emotionally exhausted to realize that there was more to life than moving boxes, and that I needed to look for better job opportunities. I stuck around for a year and a half, but, looking back, I'm shocked that I didn't get myself out after a few months.
    -Finally, with such a horrible job, it becomes very hard to resist buying the alcohol that faces you all day everyday. I'm no teetotaler; I still love beer and wine. However, about 75% of the money that I spent on alcohol while I worked at Total Wine should have gone into my savings account instead. I deeply regret that of what little money I made working for that company, I squandered so much of it in my misery. Of course, your mileage may vary.

I've probably made myself out to be a sad sack, but as soon as I left Total Wine, my entire life improved instantly. I realize again that life is a wonderful thing outside of this company. Please, don't do this to yourself.

Advice to Management

I won't repeat myself. It should be obvious, and it would fall on deaf ears anyway.

The worst management I've ever seen + worked to death

Former Employee - Wine Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Wine Associate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Total Wine & More full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discount.
    Generally, time off is given upon request.
    Benefits.
    Paid time off to full time employees.
    They supply lunch on days they know will be busy.

Cons

Management is the worst I've seen due to lack of knowledge of product, company systems, and personality. Management behaves as if they're grasping at straws unsure at all times of how to handle basic situations that occur in retail management.
    The most terrible thing is that daily you will have to sell their brand and dissuade a customer from getting what they request. You will be scored daily on this and it is the only thing discussed and at all times. They have created a bait and switch type of sales and it is discussed every 10 minutes from open to close.
    Company systems are out of date. Out of date style sales training (with role play and character types) gives the impression that CEO to DM level think their sales staff are morons.
    30 minute breaks for any shift worked including 10-12 hour shifts
    Raises are given yearly with each employee qualified getting a .90 max raise.
    Your training is peppered with talk of growth but there isn't any unless you plan on being a person that tells management whatever they want to hear (even if it's morally wrong) and kissing up no matter what.
    Was told "if you want more people to work with you during your shift...sell more. That's the only way we'll get more payroll hours".

Advice to Management

Hire better staff and pay them more and your turn over will decrease.
    Don't talk about respecting staff, do it.
    Promote from within, don't just say that you do.