Towers Perrin
www.towersperrin.com Stamford, CT 5000+ Employees

All Corporate Drones Wanted for this Feel Bad, Pay Good Sweatshop

Executive Compensation and Rewards Associate (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

ProsTowers Perrin is a well-known consulting firm with an excellent reputation in the HR consulting field. Entry level consultants are paid extremely well with significant overtime opportunities due to their initial status as a non-exempt salaried employee. Employees are able to expense virtually any type of travel expense.

ConsWhile Towers Perrin commits a lot of their resources to college recruiting, entry level consultants receive limited formal training and guidance during their first year. Numerous entry level Associates have either quit or been laid off in the past year due to the current business climate and dissatisfaction with working at this firm. The people who work at Towers Perrin treat each other based on formal rank within the firm and thus are very condescending to new consultants. Consultants from different lines of business rarely interact and frequently avoid verbal contact with each other (i.e. halls, elevators, bathroom). Utilization of consultants is haphazard due to poor internal communication and a lack of team meetings. Client interface is non-existent during the first year and I feel I was misled about this trend during the interviewing process. The work is extremely boring and purely relates to "number crunching" and Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint. Critical thinking is rarely utilized as the firm relies heavily on past templates and standardized analyses. Utilizing vacation time is frowned upon as my boss initially told me that most people forfeit their vacation time and another consultant mentioned that there is no work-life balance at this company. Sadly, one of my co-workers is planning to work through a good portion of her maternity leave due to her fear of losing her job and the reaction from our teammates. Community service and activism is very low at Towers Perrin. After having positive work experiences in other corporate settings, I am extremely disgruntled with my present employment relationship at Towers Perrin and do not recommend joining this firm.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management must make and effort to reinvigorate the firm's culture as it is extremely sterile and rigid. They also should make an effort to develop more effective communicators at the middle managerial level who actually provide feedback to co-workers. Lastly, hiring more pleasant and kind people would go a long way in improving the firm.

Good for traditional HR lines of business and those joining from college/MBA or other consulting firms.

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

I have been working at Towers Perrin

Pros: Well-known, reputable firm within its field. Well-established practice in traditional HR fields - executive compensation, health and welfare, retirement. Great… Cons: The firm is great for people hired from traditional routes - college, MBA - as well as lateral transfers from other consulting firms. Lateral… Advice to Senior Management: Staffing on assignments needs to be improved so that associates… More

Keep at it

Actuarial Associate (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Towers Perrin

Pros: Good for self-starters, fast paced, lots of growth opportunities - bite off as much as you can chew. Rewarded for your performance. Highly… Cons: Schedule is largely out of your hands - based on client needs. Work-life balance may be tough. It is more difficult to take actuarial… Advice to Senior Management: Be open and honest More
There are newer reviews on Towers Perrin.

Worked for Towers Perrin? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Towers Perrin reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Towers Perrin CEO John Haley. All reviews posted anonymously by Towers Perrin employees.