Towers Perrin
www.towersperrin.com Stamford, CT 5000+ Employees

All Corporate Drones Wanted for this Feel Bad, Pay Good Sweatshop

Executive Compensation and Rewards Associate (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Towers Perrin

ProsTowers Perrin is a well-known consulting firm with an excellent reputation in the HR consulting field. Entry level consultants are paid extremely well with significant overtime opportunities due to their initial status as a non-exempt salaried employee. Employees are able to expense virtually any type of travel expense.

ConsWhile Towers Perrin commits a lot of their resources to college recruiting, entry level consultants receive limited formal training and guidance during their first year. Numerous entry level Associates have either quit or been laid off in the past year due to the current business climate and dissatisfaction with working at this firm. The people who work at Towers Perrin treat each other based on formal rank within the firm and thus are very condescending to new consultants. Consultants from different lines of business rarely interact and frequently avoid verbal contact with each other (i.e. halls, elevators, bathroom). Utilization of consultants is haphazard due to poor internal communication and a lack of team meetings. Client interface is non-existent during the first year and I feel I was misled about this trend during the interviewing process. The work is extremely boring and purely relates to "number crunching" and Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint. Critical thinking is rarely utilized as the firm relies heavily on past templates and standardized analyses. Utilizing vacation time is frowned upon as my boss initially told me that most people forfeit their vacation time and another consultant mentioned that there is no work-life balance at this company. Sadly, one of my co-workers is planning to work through a good portion of her maternity leave due to her fear of losing her job and the reaction from our teammates. Community service and activism is very low at Towers Perrin. After having positive work experiences in other corporate settings, I am extremely disgruntled with my present employment relationship at Towers Perrin and do not recommend joining this firm.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management must make and effort to reinvigorate the firm's culture as it is extremely sterile and rigid. They also should make an effort to develop more effective communicators at the middle managerial level who actually provide feedback to co-workers. Lastly, hiring more pleasant and kind people would go a long way in improving the firm.

Good place to start an actuarial consulting career...move elsewhere if you want to do creative and interesting work.

Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Towers Perrin

Pros: Towers Perrin is a great place for folks who want… Cons: The culture varies too much from office to office, and it all depends on whether your manager cares for… Advice to Senior Management: More clear communications. More

Towers Perrin has good people, but needs to free them to become more entrepreneurial.

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Towers Perrin

Pros: Towers Perrin gives people clear line of sight between their individual goals and those of the organization. Towers… Cons: Towers Perrin's senior management operate in a very parochial style. They don't give transparent information to even their senior consultants and they make major… Advice to Senior Management: Cut out the administrative load and free your people to focus on the market and their clients' needs. State a true strategy based on… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Towers Perrin.

Worked for Towers Perrin? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Towers Perrin reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Towers Perrin CEO John Haley. All reviews posted anonymously by Towers Perrin employees.