Bureaucracy and actuaries

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are some great people who want to see you (and will help you) grow and succeed. Once you have established a track record, you will have a good deal of flexibility to structure your routines, approaches to client work, et cetera.

Cons

Getting anything done takes several times as long as before the merger, and the administrative burden of working here continues to increase without bound. Culture has also changed for the worse. Senior management is arrogant and authoritarian -- follows "do as I say, not as I do" approach with regard to corporate values and responsibilities.

Advice to Management

TW is a human resources consultancy. It's embarrassing and disillusioning that we don't practice the 'best practices' we preach.

Other Employee Reviews for Towers Watson

1. Good if you know that you want to become an actuary.

Current Employee - Analyst in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Analyst in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Towers Watson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Work/Life balance is pretty good. -Occasional opportunity for overtime. -Pension and 401k -Benefits aren't terrible

Cons

These are specific to Memphis as other offices are more diverse in how they function for the company... -Very little room to advance unless you want to be an actuary -Pay is low -Training is spotty and the first several months - year are very frustrating as a result -Constructive criticism is very rare

Advice to Management

My advice to management in Memphis would be to invest more time in training and fostering the development of employees. The management at this office genuinely has a lot client work in addition to management duties but they need to better delegate responsibilities so that new employees don't have to re-invent the wheel by themselves. I would also stress that management needs to work on providing feedback that is constructive. Often employees receive no feedback or lazy feedback that is easy to misinterpret and is often destructive.

Mediocre Work Culture, Good Benefits, Frozen Corporate Hierarchy

Former Employee - Research Department in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Research Department in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Towers Watson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Diversified tasks, given a number of responsibilities, additional training provided, and a number of smart people working in the organization. Since day one I was given responsibilities for handling multiple projects, and when I had to learn a new programming language, the company paid for off-site training.

Cons

Projects were repetitive, a lot of tasks seemed suited for an administrative type job, lack of mobility, not willing to listen to suggestions.

Advice to Management

Incorporate new ideas more, and provide a more challenging and rewarding atmosphere for employees.