Town Sports International Holdings

There are newer employer reviews for Town Sports International Holdings

Going Down Hill in A Hurry

Current Employee - Fitness Service Manager  in  New York, NY
Current Employee - Fitness Service Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Members, Opportunity to pretty much run your business and be creative
Good working environment and people around you
If you are lucky and hit quotas regularly, they leave you alone pretty much

Cons

Unrealistic quotas and games make it impossible to bonus
Everything comes down from management, feedback from members and employees is only welcome if it is what they want to hear
Nobody like their new so called personal training membership, but the really push it, even tho it is a pay cut for trainers
Any disagreement or questioning of company plans can result in disciplinary action

Put your egos and tired old ideas aside, take time to relearn the business and listen to customer and employee feedback

129 Other Employee Reviews for Town Sports International Holdings (View Most Recent)

The people are great the wages are too low.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings

Pros

Great people and if you want to work long term in the fitness industry there are plenty of ways to advance.

Cons

You must personally initiate any moves you want to make horizontally in the organization, management does not actively look to advance hard-workers.

Consider paying the front desk employees more, they have one of the most stressful jobs in the gym. The multi-tasking and first point of contact for any problems with the guests makes it a challenging position. Additionally, updating the technology used could minimize costs and improve services. For example having a computer system that can take online reservations for group exercise classes would greatly reduce the workload of the front desk staff; removing the constantly ringing phone from the equation means you could pay that position more while having less employees on the clock and saving the company money overall.

I lifeguard and tend to the pools and spas

Current Employee - Lifeguard  in  Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Lifeguard in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Town Sports International Holdings

Pros

Free membership, I really enjoy the coworkers as other down to earth people using BSC as a stepping stone in their career lives.

Cons

top-heavy in terms of management; an extremely noncompetitive pay. Lifeguards should receive >11$/hr and BSC starts at $9. Finding competent workers quickly who work for just about minimum wage, pay for their own certifications, recertifications, and professional development and also respect their workplace is impossible.

When my raise is less than a quarter, you make it seem like you need the raise, and not me, when we both know that is not true. Be fair to you're workers and pay them the going rate. Lifeguards should not have to pay for their recertifications when they receive scarcely above minimum wage, especially since the members treat us as if we get paid $25/hr and deserve to be treated like minions.

There are newer employer reviews for Town Sports International Holdings

Worked for Town Sports International Holdings? Contribute to the Community!