There are newer employer reviews for Towson University

Would have loved to work for them as a Full Time with benefits employee. However, not as an Adjunct Faculty

Former Contractor - Adjunct Professor in Towson, MD
Former Contractor - Adjunct Professor in Towson, MD

I worked at Towson University as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great colleagues, clean and technologically up to date working environment

Cons

It's like Rodney Dangerfield said, "I can't get no respect!" That's what it feels like to be an adjunct faculty.
No guarantee of courses from term to term, no benefits, no retirement, basically financial insecurity.
No health...
Heck, they wouldn't even pay for parking. I had to pay for an annual parking pass.
And don't try to not pay for parking. Towson is a POLICE STATE. They are everywhere ticketing the slightest infraction.

My advice is to the students. Demand more from your tuition. You spend big bucks to attend Towson. Instead of the administration building a "really cool" climbing wall and offering Pizza Hut in the cafeteria, demand more. Demand they put the money towards hiring more full time instructors. An adjunct who is paid well, stays longer and contributes to meaningful relationships between faculty and students.
However, I firmly believe it's the students who make change at the university level. The administrators will respond to what you value. So what's more important to your education: a climbing wall or GOOD, well qualified, content instructors. The choice is yours!

reviews filtered by
  1. Fun, upbeat atmosphere where coworkers care about your work and life

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Towson, MD
    Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Towson, MD

I have been working at Towson University part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great Staff, Located in a beautiful area full of restaurants and shops, Great work/balance, Benefits

Cons

Salary isn't very high but they make up for it with perks and involvement

2. Horrible

I worked at Towson University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Urban location. University amenities (library, gym, events). Good for work/life balance

Cons

This university is more backwards than the Republican party. Women, minorities, and young professionals all feel discriminated against. Management is extremely hierarchical. The staff are so demoralized that they do not do their job. Tons of turnover because everyone is trying to leave. The faculty are also underpaid and demoralized. The administrators turn a blind eye to discriminatory practices. Human resources do not help out employees that are being treated unfairly. I worked in Facilities Management which was the worst of them all. Student Affairs is probably the best. Run away!

There are newer employer reviews for Towson University