There are newer employer reviews for Towson University

Would have loved to work for them as a Full Time with benefits employee. However, not as an Adjunct Faculty

Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Towson, MD
Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Towson, MD

I worked at Towson University as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great colleagues, clean and technologically up to date working environment

Cons

It's like Rodney Dangerfield said, "I can't get no respect!" That's what it feels like to be an adjunct faculty.
No guarantee of courses from term to term, no benefits, no retirement, basically financial insecurity.
No health...
Heck, they wouldn't even pay for parking. I had to pay for an annual parking pass.
And don't try to not pay for parking. Towson is a POLICE STATE. They are everywhere ticketing the slightest infraction.

My advice is to the students. Demand more from your tuition. You spend big bucks to attend Towson. Instead of the administration building a "really cool" climbing wall and offering Pizza Hut in the cafeteria, demand more. Demand they put the money towards hiring more full time instructors. An adjunct who is paid well, stays longer and contributes to meaningful relationships between faculty and students.
However, I firmly believe it's the students who make change at the university level. The administrators will respond to what you value. So what's more important to your education: a climbing wall or GOOD, well qualified, content instructors. The choice is yours!

65 Other Employee Reviews for Towson University (View Most Recent)

Fun, upbeat atmosphere where coworkers care about your work and life

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Towson, MD
    Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Towson, MD

I have been working at Towson University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Staff, Located in a beautiful area full of restaurants and shops, Great work/balance, Benefits

Cons

Salary isn't very high but they make up for it with perks and involvement

A great place to develop your skills before you enter the business world

Former Employee - Resident Assistant in Towson, MD
    Former Employee - Resident Assistant in Towson, MD

I worked at Towson University as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Staff is very friendly, they really want you to succeed in your position and are willing to help in whatever way they can.

Cons

Somewhat unrealistic expectations of RA in certain buildings. For example I worked as a RA in Millennium, and I had 83 residents on my floor as opposed to the 20 something at other buildings.

Don't try to hard to be diverse, just give the opportunity for diversity to flourish.

There are newer employer reviews for Towson University