There are newer employer reviews for Toys ''R'' Us

Good first time (seasonal) job.

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate  in  Reno, NV
Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Reno, NV

I worked at Toys ''R'' Us part-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible hours, will work with you if you have school or another job.
Friendly co-workers and management.
Fun environment.

Cons

During seasonal hours can very and be few.
Little training - consisted of watching a 45 minute video and shadowing someone for about half an hour, then sent out on your own.

A little more training would be nice, I know that I was only seasonal, but that doesn't mean that I don't care about the job I'm doing and that I don't want to know what I'm really doing.

1114 Other Employee Reviews for Toys ''R'' Us (View Most Recent)

its ok. i dont want to be here here forever though if i cant move up soon

Current Employee - Team Member  in  Roseville, CA
    Current Employee - Team Member in Roseville, CA

I have been working at Toys ''R'' Us part-time for more than a year

Pros

good pay, good hours if you ask to work and learn things. and of course if you do a good job then you will make more money. it can be fun at times. talking to people on the sales floor definitely gives great experience for many other future jobs. its not easy to get fired really. not as many crying babies as one might expect. and pregnant ladies are actually pretty kind. when people do recognize your hard work, it feels pretty good, but thats not often. pos system is pretty simple. scheduling is pretty good.

Cons

sales pressure for cashiers is not cool. cashiering can make one feel robotic and while it may look good on applications to cashier for a couple years, it does a lot more for your character to sell things on the sales floor. some employees can be rude and immature at times. inconsistent policies and procedures. not all employees are on the same page about how things work. i have a bad feeling that my last pay "raise" was based on a personal bias of one supervisor towards me which had no reasonable explanation to it. its not that easy to be recognized. nobody seems to trust each other. theres no drug tests. after my long time working very hard i feel like if im not recognized as the next supervisor of my department then im basically wasting my time. when the store is busy, the lack of enough main cashiers calls for sales floor workers to get on registers and lose time that could be used on more important tasks. oh, and managers definitely have favorites. too much complaining from everyone about everything. the complaining has definitely rubbed off on me as well

pay closer attention to all employees. show more respect. an old assistant manager of mine was basically an expert of the whole store, all managers should be that way. managers should basically know more than anyone when it comes to certain procedures, product knowledge, and just how to do everything. could be a little more open minded. store seems too divided by departments. we need more to make our small group of employees feel like an awesome team. more employees and more business to make use of new employees. if theres any way to suggest to corporate better marketing strategies to improve sales that would be great. out store seems like the minimum of a "busy store".

Very good job but not career unless you like retail A LOT

Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Team Member  in  Fort Collins, CO
    Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Team Member in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at Toys ''R'' Us part-time for more than a year

Pros

I loved working there for about 8 or 9 months but I was there for 14 months total. I was hired for season in November and it was my first job and I was ecstatic at the age of 17. Working season for the first time was a lot of fun yet a lot of work which wasnt anything to complain about. My managers seemed to love me and I was given a very very very small raise which again i was fine with at 17. I got along great with my coworkers at work but since i was so young i was excluded from most of the activities that the other coworkers always did such as bowling, movies, and bars which i couldnt go for obvious reasons. The pay was ok for me since i was in high school but it was not much. I worked for 14 months and ony made 4500 total.

Cons

Aside from the good things,which i cant deny there were a lot but very seldom, there were so many flaws that i never saw until i matured through my job and personal life. One of the biggest flaws is those stupid metrics such as loyalty goals and bpp's and batteries. NOBODY CARES I GUARANTEE IT. of course there are the few suckers (guests) that get sucked into the monopoloy of over priced toys that are "only at toys r us." but in reality and for the real people of this wold, no one cares about loyalty cards and they especially dont care about the secret marketing idea that is behind them. and if metrics ae so important than why shouldnt you give the cashiers some form of comission for selling them. if we dont get any reward for doing them and geting a lot of metrics (and believe me i got plenty) then that causes people like me to not care about metrics. there is no room for advanceent unless you are tere for fricken ever. since there is no room for advancement there is no desire to do anything at all that benefits the ompany unless it somehow benefits us but it DOES NOT. for example wheni had been there for about 4 months they tld me that they wanted to move me to rzone in about two months. im a geek so i belong there and i completed their training but waited patiently for about 6 or 7 months. when they started hiring for season i asked f i could go to rzone but they told me some crappy stuff about me being the best cahier and they needed me to help te new ones. instead of moving me there they hired new people who knew almost nothing and that angered me. cashiering is not hard at all and i figured it out onmy own. they can too. i again patiently wated until season was over and i expected to work rzone by then but no they moved somebody else over there because "it as a girl" . by season after working there for a year with no appreciation i stopped caring at all. during reshop i would stick a bunch of random items behind biger suff so we could leave early. anybody that has worked cashier know its exrremely easy but it is beyondboring and annoying as hell. i got tired of neglect and getting terible hours for terrible wges and constantly working cashier shifts so i just stopped going and could care less what happened because of my absence.sory for all the grammar errors this was off of a phone.

Figure out a way to motivate employes to actually do their job.
    Make a rewards program that actually benefits the guests and make it easier to understand and utilize for the guests.
    Stop sucking at your job
    Get better and faster checkout lanes and counters

There are newer employer reviews for Toys ''R'' Us

Worked for Toys ''R'' Us? Contribute to the Community!