There are newer employer reviews for Toys ''R'' Us

Playing to win?

Current Employee - Store Manager in Philadelphia, PA
Current Employee - Store Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Toys ''R'' Us full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Dedicated people, reasonable pay. Decent management schedule expectations outside of season. Great tools available on company intranet! Almost real time feedback for many key metrics. Focus on omni channel is outstanding.

Cons

Precarious ownership of company, lacks a clear vision. Under funded from capital sponsors so stores have orders refused for essential items like toilet paper. Concerns bout long term viability.

Treat store managers like the multi million dollar business leaders that they are. Stop micro managing.

reviews filtered by
  1. A company that doesn't invest in their employees.

Former Employee - Pricing Coordinator in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Pricing Coordinator in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Toys ''R'' Us full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working to make children happy and great place to work if you have children of your own. Recommend the seasonal positions to high school kids.

Cons

Pay is not good and they don't show any appreciation for their employees. The benefits are terrible and only 4-7 employees in a store qualify for them. Working during the Christmas season is awful and extremely stressful. Dealing with disgruntled customers during this time is depressing.

Support your employees, provide incentives and build moral. Show some appreciation and lead by example.

Easily predictable busy days (rushes), fun, easy work as a cashier with a steady line, but sometimes chaotic.

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Toys ''R'' Us part-time

Pros

Even in the worst rush, (as compared to fast food, which I used to work at) you can learn to stay calm and help one customer at a time as opposed to having to help a dozen at once. You learn to just glide through the chaos. Being a cashier with a steady line has its perks in that you if you work fast and genuinely try to help the customer they will love you. Also, unlike others, I loved the "downtime" work, such as cleaning the aisles and doing planograms, I found it calming somehow and it always makes your managers super happy. The toys are awesome too! And the kids are really cute/fun.

Cons

We weren't allowed gum or water at registers (come on- did they want us to have bad breath while speaking to customers?), and on a saturday/sunday when we were clearly busy it was a bit silly being asked to do recall (putting away items out of place) and then being called to the register 2 seconds later. Holiday season is a MESS, you will automatically be scheduled for black friday and they will constantly want you to put more hours in. The store will close later and you will have to stay sometimes until midnight cleaning up customers' messes/the store after it closes. Also, you'd be surprised: It's not the kids who throw the tantrums, it's their parents.
    Not to mention selling the credit card and everything after a transaction really holds up the line in busy times.

There are newer employer reviews for Toys ''R'' Us