TraceSecurity

www.tracesecurity.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for TraceSecurity

If you don't mind travel, this was the best job ever!

Former Employee - Information Security Analyst in Baton Rouge, LA
Former Employee - Information Security Analyst in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at TraceSecurity

Pros

I think the best way to review TraceSecurity will be to give my top reasons why I liked TraceSecurity and then some top cons about TraceSecurity.
Reason 1:
When I started with TraceSecurity I thought I already had a decent background in network security. After the first week there I realized just how little I knew. Every day I seemed to learn something new and TraceSecurity paid for me to go through several training courses and certifications.
Reason 2: The pay. When I started I was making around $55K per year. When I left after a little over two years I was making $75K plus bonuses. There are three levels of analysts and each time you move up to the next level, you move to a new pay grade. It really comes down to how much effort you put in.
Reason 3: Everyone who works there. When I first started there was a few people that seemed to complain about everything. I almost quit because I thought the job must be awful. Over time those people left and I it turned out the rest of the people were great to work with and the job was fantastic. Management spends a lot of time trying to come up with fun events for the employees which take place every few months. What was most surprising to me is that everyone including the founders of the company make themselves available to help you with whatever you need. The CEO had an open door policy where anyone could come in and talk about whatever was on their mind. I felt like my opinion mattered. The are so many other analysts there that are so smart that I always knew if I was having any kind of technical problem, someone in the group would have expertise regarding that issue. Even now that I have left, I still reach out to them from time to time when I run into a problem.
Reason 4: Every job was unique. I was continually working on new projects that allowed me to experience so many different networks, operating systems, applications, etc. Before I worked at TraceSecurity I worked for a company where I was part of a team that protected our company network. When I was at TraceSecurity I was involved in testing hundreds of different company networks. The amount of experienced gained from this was incredible.

Cons

While I enjoyed the job at TraceSecurity, like every job there are always things that could have been better. Here are my top three cons.

Con 1: Travel. When I first started at TraceSecurity they warned me that there would be about 50% travel. At the time I was single and it sounded like fun. Over the years I met someone and suddenly traveling 50% of the time became hard to handle. They did work with me to try to make the travel schedule bearable but ultimately I just didn't want to be on the road any more and this ewas the reason I ended up taking another job.
Con 2: Report writing. Personally I did not have an issue with report writing but I did see several of the analysts struggle with this one. Everyone likes to do the hacking side of the job but for each engagement you then have to write a report. For some this just became an impossible task. If you are not capable of writing, you will fail at this job.
Con 3: Not a 9 to 5 job. Again, this wasn't an issue for me but I did see others who struggled with this one. There are busy times and there are not quite as busy times. There are never slow times. While some weeks you will work 40 hours, there will be others where you will come in early or stay late to complete what is assigned to you. That said, I never ended up having to work weekends.

Continue to do what you are doing. The changes I saw over the past few years were all positive and I personally appreciated everything you did for me. I totally expect that someday I will come back to TraceSecurity! (In a non-travel position of course.)

12 Other Employee Reviews for TraceSecurity (View Most Recent)

A good start if you don't have experience

Current Employee - Information Security Analyst in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Information Security Analyst in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at TraceSecurity

Pros

Information security is a promising field with above average salaries. At the same time partitioners are expected to have a high technical level. This makes this company a good entry point where non-experience personnel can gain experience and boost their security knowledge. So if you are looking for a company to learn the basics of information security, this is the one. But do not stay long if you want to have a more advanced level or want to advance in your career.

Cons

This is not a great company but the field in which operates can make it an interesting place for people with no information security experience. Unfortunately, management is this company lack the competence to guide it in this competitive field (Information Security). Just check information related management expertise in their web site and you won't find any expertise (with one exception) related with IT management or Information Security. That goes to all levels in this company: Managers who only make sells, directors with totally unrelated skills and so on.

Management shows little respect, if any, for the time that analysts have to spend learning, working and getting proficiency. And to make things worse, you won't advance if your expertise requires you to have some technical proficiency.

Great place to work

I have been working at TraceSecurity full-time

Pros

Great place to go for entry level information security jobs. Lots of variety in daily work, and you will get a taste of many different facets of information security.

Cons

Travel, but that is to be expected in this role. Travel has not been as frequent as they initially stated before I started.

I think management has done a great job keeping a fun, productive work environment.

There are newer employer reviews for TraceSecurity