TraceSecurity

www.tracesecurity.com
There are newer employer reviews for TraceSecurity

It's who you befriend what matters. Not your experience or what you do.

Former Employee - Information Security Analyst in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at TraceSecurity full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very casual environment, and very friendly coworkers. Good health benefits. No much traveling as expected and announced.

Cons

Too much value given to employees that only purpose is to sell (I exclude sales department from this), including delivery managers and directors who only play facebook, but are supposed to manage security analysts.
The delivery and service actually blocks analysts forward progress. Who you befriend determines salary increase. Employee value is determined by sales not by value to customers.

The organization values sales over everything else. Not much to say that others haven't said already

12 Other Employee Reviews for TraceSecurity (View Most Recent)

You will survive but won't sell millions

Former Employee - Business Sales in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Business Sales in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at TraceSecurity full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Not much to say about the company. It is a small company, that had a very enjoyable environment.

I can say it was fun to work there and I made my share of money. I gained a lot of customers and I still keep close contact with many of them (disclaimer:I now sell them
    other type of security products).

Many former employees think that ts will go bankrupt but I disagree, the market is still growing and the tide will maintain the company afloat for the time being. So you can still make some money there.

Cons

In their beginnings the company was considered innovative. We were selling
    a software that allowed small companies to manage their vulnerabilities and report on those, but more importantly was the close contact and feedback that analysts or engineers provided. However,the market has moved very fast and the company lost its mojo.

As every organization, tracesecurity is made of people and processes. But for current management priorities and processes gears towards sales and sales. This can sound like a contradiction coming from a sales person, but you can only sell what someone else has built. As in any product if there is not substance your profits will be slim. In other words, you should really have a serious technical department if you want to sell technology based products. Such department does not exist in Tracesecurity.

The delivery & services management lacks expertise in the area. Many have complained
    about it. There are sales managers in sales (as in any company) and sales managers in delivery services. The latter should be experts in the area no another representative trying to up-sell. No one, including their analysts, take them seriously. A staples store manager has more expertise than the DMs and VPs of that area.

By the time I left the company continued to be small with a steady income but no prospects of growth. Don't believe their hype of millions of dollars in sales. There is no such thing.

If you want to work keep this in mind. You won't make big sales or keep big customer contacts. If you get a big account, the delivery deparment (remember that it is not technical just sales people acting as managers) will get future commissions of any upsale or renewal.

So you actually won't get close contact with customers. No incentive to offer a new product
    to the people you worked hard to attract . You only become a cold calling guy sweeping the call list.

For their misfortune, today tracesecurity software competes with many options in the market that provide the same functionality at not cost or as an free add on of other solutions. For example, AV companies and Firewalls managements suites provide information about vulnerabilities, compliance level, GRC, etc with little or no additional cost. How I know? I sell
    those products.

Professional services is a great source of income for security companies, but they dismantled what could have been a great source of income ... Current management pay little attention to what it should be the most important asset, that is the security skills of their technical department. Instead they decided to have managers with secretarial skills and pseudo lawyers as VPs to lead a technical department.

Technical people are very proud, competitive, very expensive and very often arrogant. I deal with them all the time, but I need them to meet my quota. I seriously doubt that experienced and serious professionals would want to work under a structure of people with zero technical background. It is not a surprise that the few that were competent fled the company.

That's why their analysts turnover is so high, and while sales people suffer from the incompetence of delivery and service management. They are just trying to meet their quota instead of getting expertise.

Loads of potential that will never be realized

Former Employee - Information Security Analyst in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at TraceSecurity full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It should be noted that any positive review from someone claiming to be in a technical role for this company should have its authenticity strongly questioned. I could write for days about this place, but I will try to be brief. Like many places, Trace has its pros and cons. Unlike many other places, though, the cons FAR outweigh the pros.

- Good experience, fast…IF you don’t already have even the most basic security knowledge.
    - Casual environment
    - Training reimbursement (albeit with a “gotcha” clause if you leave within a year)
    - Airline, hotel and rental car points and status
    - Sightseeing
    - Other technical people

Cons

- Unrealistic and unsustainable work load and expectations. You will never stop working.
    - If you show any promise, you will be run into the ground.
    - Management has no security experience or insight, or any desire to acquire any such knowledge.
    - Attempts to make reparation for poor treatment of technical people equates to someone offering you a Skittle as an apology for stabbing you in the eye with a chainsaw.
    - Management’s unbelievably high emotional sensitivity makes it impossible to give any type of feedback without being attacked.
    - Some managers form “cliques” that afford them special privileges like severe, chronic, unpunished tardiness and the ability to sit in one office and joke around on Youtube for hours.
    - Good luck getting a decent salary out of them. Those are reserved for people that sell things.

In summary, my 3 years at Trace brought me to a level of depression and misery that I never thought possible. The people that I worked WITH were great people, great coworkers and great friends. The people that I worked FOR were also great people, but they were probably the worst supervisors and decision makers you can possibly imagine. Trace has/had the potential to be the greatest job on this planet, but until management stops making decisions with their emotions and swallows their pride long enough to look in the mirror, this place will continue to be a grinder for technical people.

This box isn't big enough to include all of the things that management needs to do to make this place tolerable.

There are newer employer reviews for TraceSecurity