Trader Joe's

Great place to work

Current Employee - Mate in Saint Louis, MO
Current Employee - Mate in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

Trader Joe's is a fun, casual environment to work in. Customers love the products and return policies are liberal, so it's easy in the regard. The job is active and assignments vary, so the time passes quickly. Coworkers are a varied group, too, and interesting to talk to. Paid time off, entirely employer paid retirement (15.4% of salary), great health insurance, short- and long-term disability insurance, life insurance. Employee discount helps with groceries. Hard work and good people skills are rewarded with raises, praise and promotions.

Cons

Ten hour work days, five days a week, can get old. It's retail, so we work weekends. Unpredictable nature of business, late trucks, etc., can make it challenging. Lots of in-store HR issues can be tiring. Conservative HR on the corporate level makes it nearly impossible to fire anyone, which keeps low performers on the job.

Take some chances and let people go when they don't meet expectations. If nothing else, that's what our customers deserve.

702 Other Employee Reviews for Trader Joe's (View Most Recent)

I enjoy going to work everyday.

Current Employee - Crew Member in Staten Island, NY
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Staten Island, NY

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

I love my full time crew.The store is up beat and the customers love it.

Cons

The stock room is small and sometimes challenging when looking for merchandise.

Some of your employees are not as wonderful as they appear to be as with any place of employment.

Physically difficult work but satisfying. Upbeat work environment.

Current Employee - Crew Member in West Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Crew Member in West Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

Great co-workers. Great benefits. Work day goes very quickly. Diverse duties throughout the day so you are not bored or stuck in one area. We have a liberal tasting policy and often sample new items. We are allowed to open product for customers to sample too. 10% employee discount which is nice as our prices are already low. Very laid back management style which is wonderful most of the time.

Cons

VERY early morning shifts (5 AM start time) Open 8 AM to 9 PM seven days a week. May be expected to close (midnight or later) and back to work the next moring. Sometimes frustrating to work with the "slackers". Supervisors don't seem to notice or choose not to. Tolerate the same people calling in far too much. Puts a strain on the rest of the crew.

Be more aware of the "slackers". They are very frustrating to have in a team environment. Same people every day. Be more aware of waste and employee theft. Happens more often than you think!

There are newer employer reviews for Trader Joe's