Trader Joe's

Monotonous

Former Employee - Crew Member in Bellingham, WA
Former Employee - Crew Member in Bellingham, WA

I worked at Trader Joe's

Pros

Easy monotonous tasks. Once you learn what is asked of you its pretty much ground hog day. There is always room for improvement though.

Cons

Some of the managers are a pain in the *%#. You can't expect to always be surrounded by kind caring people.

What more can be asked of people that work the same job almost every day and put the same products on the shelf and say the same things to customers and smile in the same way day after day. As my first mate reminded me "its just stacking can". Thanks jim!

701 Other Employee Reviews for Trader Joe's (View Most Recent)

Great pay, great benefits, hard work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at Trader Joe's

Pros

Great pay and benefits.
    A chance to learn about interesting foods.
    One on one training.
    Really one of the best retail jobs out there.
    Management really made an effort to train and develop employees.
    Women didn't seem to advance as quickly within the company. I don't know if this was due to not as many women pursuing advancement, women not being advanced by management, or some combination thereof.

Cons

Despite being one of the best retail jobs out there, it is still retail. This means long hours including weekends and holidays. This might be ok for some, but I needed a more traditional schedule.

The company obviously started focusing upon diversity in recent years as those of racial ethnic minorities were rapidly advancing. All individuals I saw promoted, however, were qualified regardless of race/ ethnicity/ etc. However, consider spending a bit more time growing leadership among female employees, as well.

Happily working for corporate

Former Employee - Crew Member in Paramus, NJ
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Paramus, NJ

I worked at Trader Joe's

Pros

The people are very friendly. There are lots interesting parts to this job (trying new food, staying informed, feedback sessions and group huddles) that make it a pleasure to come in to work. The benefits are OUTSTANDING for a part time job, my current full time job can't compare. Great raises, something like 6% last time I was there. Additionally, Trader Joe's has an interesting and effective philosophy of changing employee tasks every two hours so that crew members don't get bored. Typical work day is very enjoyable, customers are friendly (sometimes not) and you can be friendly back.

Cons

First off, you will work really hard, especially if you want hours. The full timers at TJ's have to work a brutal 50 or 60 hour work week, something insane like that. Physically demanding tasks abound, and the workload is generally unrealistic for the amount of staff and the time they have to work. It's the classic case of corporate making unreasonable demands on the retail end.
                 While TJ's comes off as this hippy-dippy company, their actually owned by a German based corporation that is, in the end, only interested in the revenue intake. My two managers would also excuse some people for lateness and write others up on the spot if they didn't like them. Corporate never seemed satisfied with our sales each quarter and everyone got really sick of it. The workload became unbearable and I left the company right before store management changed hands and things got really bad. Also, my manager was absolutely soulless and only cared about the bottom line. He also talked to people like they were dirt which made coming into work difficult at times.

TJ's boasts a great employee experience. Don't sacrifice that experience by running your store-level staff ragged and taking advantage of everyone and if sales are poor, market yourselves better. The friendly flier is great but no one wants to read 5 FULL pages about food. Come up with better ideas and maybe your stores will see more traffic.

There are newer employer reviews for Trader Joe's