Trader Joe's

A Great Place to Work

Mate (Current Employee)
Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe position of 'Mate' is the Trader Joe's equivalent of 'Assistant Manager'. Trader Joe's has opportunity for unlimited advancement, if you can prove yourself to the right people at the right time. Competitive salary and (albeit small) annual bonuses. GREAT benefits, including an employer-paid retirement and easy acquirement of time-off. Plenty of job stability.

ConsWorking a rotating shift is usually required, meaning 1-2 closing shifts, 1 midday shift, and 2 opening shifts per week. The shifts for this position are 10 hours/day, and often you stay late. The raises are one per year, and they are almost laughable, at least in the beginning. For the amount of work that this job requires, the raises and compensation should be higher.

Advice to Senior ManagementMates need to be compensated for how much work they put in. With the restructuring that happened last year, Merchants (even the ones who were demoted from their previous positions) are still receiving the same pay, raises, and benefits that they were receiving before, while the newer Mates are not. Hopefully this issue will sort itself out over the next few years as the company gets more comfortable with the new system.

Great!

Crew Member (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time for less than a year

Pros: Good pay, great discounts. I really enjoy it here. Cons: Long hours, busy but not too terrible. Advice to Senior Management: None Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

cool place and fun bugs

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: fun place to work here Cons: smelly doors and fun times Advice to Senior Management: be cool man. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Trader Joe's.

Worked for Trader Joe's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Trader Joe's reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Trader Joe's CEO Dan Bane. All reviews posted anonymously by Trader Joe's employees.