Trader Joe's

www.traderjoes.com
  www.traderjoes.com
There are newer employer reviews for Trader Joe's

Enjoyable working environment with focus on product and customer experience.

Current Employee - Part Time Crew Member in Fort Worth, TX
Current Employee - Part Time Crew Member in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Loved working for TJs. They focus on giving the customer an exceptional experience and sharing product knowledge and tasting.

Cons

Can be a little "clickish". Some mates are much more approachable than others and training can be inconsistent.

712 Other Employee Reviews for Trader Joe's (View Most Recent)

Can this company be saved ... ???

Current Employee - Part Time Crew Member
    Current Employee - Part Time Crew Member

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours. Great {for the most part} coworkers. Discount on purchases of 10%. Health insurance available and 401k plan for those who stay long enough to vest.

Advancement opportunities for young employes who are strong and in good health.

Cons

Management at the top {i.e. Dan Bane} don't care when we are abused by insane and unreasonable customers. Any customer can get you fired by calling in a complaint anonymously. Manager (captain) won't stand up for an employe being attacked by a customer.

High turnover. Some captains, like mine, enjoy hiring and firing people and do it a lot. Our captain has been cutting numbers of days and hours of current employees while continuing to hire new ones.

CEO Dan Bane has just reduced semi-annual raise limits and decreased annual 401k contribution by 1/3, and health premiums are scheduled to rise, he says -- blames it on "Obamacare."

Store is very cold. Typical stint on register is 4-5 hours per shift. No rest breaks.

High level of physical back injuries, espec. back injuries.

Captain and supervisors play favorites.

Start with practicing the first of Trader Joe's 7 values: Integrity. Protect your hardworking part time employes instead of ignoring their calls for help to HR.

on its way down

I have been working at Trader Joe's (more than 10 years)

Pros

When I first started 10 years ago there was more opportunity for raises and the health benefits were better. I like that I'm not at a desk and that I move around most of the day.

Cons

In the past few years raises first got less frequent, then got smaller and less frequent, and are now X number employees can get a raise in an all-or-nothing sort of way. For me, who has been employed here so long, it makes little difference in my wages--I'm capped out--but for people starting at $10 per hour, not getting raises is serious. Trying to survive in this area on so little is next to impossible.

Also, TJs puts its profit above employee safety. I don't think we've had a day in years when everyone has been at work in good condition. I've had everything from facial stitches to crushed legs. I'm currently on Workers Comp., and I am wary of going back unless the conditions are actually changed. The cute little drawings with safety slogans don't do much good if there's no follow through from management.

It can be cliquey. There is a lot of imbalance in productivity.

Moving up in position usually means sacrificing your whole extra curricular life. Because pay and benefits have decreased, there are fewer people interested in making that sort of sacrifice, and the managers we currently have have gotten lackluster.

I don't think many places are better---all grocery stores are overpackaged---but the environmental footprint is massive, and it makes me ill watching TJs promote itself as some sort of eco friendly place to shop. Some of our resuable bags are plastic shipped from Asia.

I don't have any advice for management at this point. Our wage increases were recently frozen and Dan Bane sent out a letter telling us how wonderful TJs is to us and we should be happy to have a job in the current economy, which was in very bad taste, particularly since TJs profits have only gotten higher and they opened 30 new stores last year. I am grateful to have a job, but it seems overlooked that I do my end too by, you know, doing the work. The injury rate really makes me angry. Since the letter I haven't bought a single item from my own company.

There are newer employer reviews for Trader Joe's