Great Job - good enough to consider as a career

Current Employee - Crew Member
Current Employee - Crew Member

I have been working at Trader Joe's full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very competitive pay, better benefits than most retailers (health insurance, retirement fund, etc). Great coworkers, managers, and overall atmosphere. Worked with my college schedule, and any other scheduling needs I've had

Cons

It's retail: there's gonna be some cons... Stores are only closed 3 days out of the year - you're gonna work most every holiday You work with the public, so you never know what might happen.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Things are slipping, and it seemed so good the first year...now, not so much.

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time

Pros

Easy work. Many opportunities to try foods for free. Free gym membership with health insurance...at least for now. Amazing customers. They really love our stores. Upselling is a breeze, though, not rewarded by management.

Cons

Raises are getting smaller each review period. Store management plays favorites. Certain crew members do little to no work (I have witnessed a few just standing around, talking to their Mate friends, for almost 2 hours, daily, while other crew are hard at work) In the last year, closing crew (3-11pm shift) are getting shafted. Constantly understaffed, and these closing crews routinely stay well after 11pm...usually closer to 12am. HR is in place to protect management, and punish store crew. Management is protected at all costs, which means they can be as corrupt as they want to be...and are. All the time.

Advice to Management

No advice. They are too busy listening to their inner voices.

it's not what it seems its like hell

Former Employee - Part Time Crew Member in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Part Time Crew Member in New York, NY

I worked at Trader Joe's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

health care, discount on food, 401k,

Cons

over work , biased, at will job, management has no respect for employees managment often show little concern for workers need and health employees are over worked to the point of injury management has been known to make false claims on certain employees or singling out certain employees for termination and falsely lie on those filing for unemployment trader joes may be nice to shop in as a customer but to an employee it is no picnic in the park.

Advice to Management

my advice to you is to look closely at the managers running your stores