There are newer employer reviews for Trader Joe's

Very nice place to work but very hard work at times.

Current Employee - Crew Member in Long Island City, NY
Current Employee - Crew Member in Long Island City, NY

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff, great benefits, fun atmosphere.

Cons

Very physically demanding and staff very young.

Advice to Management

Take a few moments to explain how they want things done.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Rewarding yet eye opening.

Current Employee - Crew Member in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You make great friends. You truly do.
    You learn excellent skills to take with you to other places of employment.
    You literally deal with every kind of person.

Cons

You literally deal with every kind of person. That means even the crazy ones.
    You learn that customers do not know boundaries.
    You learn that some customers do not understand that you are a human being.
    You learn that sometimes managers do not have your best interest at heart.

Advice to Management

You should always be more professional than the crew.

2 cents from a rookie should be taken with a grain of salt. This is just what I see.

Current Employee - Crew Member in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Orange, CA

I have been working at Trader Joe's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Here you will learn to hone your interpersonal interaction. If you can maintain an engaging personality with fellow crew members and earn their trust and favor, you may find room for advancement or earn the coveted double bubble award. Managers are outstanding save one or two in the bunch, but even they seem to have the best of intentions. They may not see that they are micro-managing because they are striving to uphold the Captain's vision and to meet expectations. But on the whole, the management team can often find ways to correct actions in a manner that does not require an adjective in the form of an expletive. This is the only food job I know where you can earn between $8-$20/hr as a part time crew member. But top dollar comes with a price: be prepared to become either jaded or bitter. Some vets need to keep that attitude at home. Not all are like that and it is inspiring to know a top Mate or Captain rakes in 6 figures thanks to all the crew members who supported the rise to the top.

Cons

Raises have diminished from being merit based to $0.55 and then $0.45 bi-annual raises dependent on a positive review. Thanks to Obamacare and some changes from the top, employees must work a minimum of 30 hrs a week but crew members are only scheduled for five 7.5 hour shifts each week. Cutting an hour here and some pennies there....where is it all going? Not to the crew who overcome considerable obstacles, crowded back rooms, and a milk box overflowing with product to bring smiles and great customer service to irritable customers who often forget to treat us like human beings. At least the store management recognizes us for what we do. And occasionally, they reward us.

Advice to Management

Recognize talent if you see it. And compensate it fairly when job offering or when you see it in action. Whether people/computer skills, management experience, wine knowledge, culinary chops, or ordering/logistical expertise...Captains should understand how those skills will affect their bottom line and stop lowballing overqualified applicants. And in this economy, employers can get away with it. What a shame.

You asked us to rate which was most important out of our pay, benefits, and health care. Please don't make us choose because suffering diminishing returns in any of these three categories is quite a blow to a crew member who loses money out of all three categories when they are injured on the job. Or if they fall sick when so many people who walk through the store are ill. We are doing back breaking work to survive and the rate of injury is substantially high. OSHA-certified step stools and Emergen-C will not produce the results you seek. The focus is still on the customer, just make sure you take care of those who are making it happen. If you reduce our health benefits and our earning potential, both contribute to our healthcare coverage deficit.