Trader Joe's

FAVORITISM GALORE

Current Employee - Part-time Crew
Current Employee - Part-time Crew

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

Good benefits. You never have to go hungry on the job because there's always something to munch on... You can take up to a 3 week vacation - good schedule flexibility if you give enough notice of when you want time off.

Cons

Favoritism is THE most negative thing that comes into play time and time again. It's true: if you don't play the game and suck up, you can be 'punished' by getting stuck on the register 5 hours daily. And they still expect you to be cheerful with every customer??! ! Review scoring can be totally biased towards the person, not on how they perform. Lack of positive reinforcement.

A lot of times complaints from part-timers get 'pooh-poohed' by management. Take people more seriously when something bothers them and REALLY look into the root cause of the problem instead of considering them a pain! Limit register time to 4 hours - it will benefit the customer.

703 Other Employee Reviews for Trader Joe's (View Most Recent)

Decent but boring

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

The crew and customers are overall likable, fun people. It's nice to have a physical job and not sit behind a desk. Compensation is great at the full-time level. Employees have much more control over daily time than at the part-time level.

Cons

Management and store changes - once you're full-time, you work for the company and can be transferred to nearby stores. It's very difficult to let someone go - if am employee doesn't break any rules, but consistently turns in a poor performance, they can still be around for a looong time, especially if they don't mind not getting a lot of hours or a good raise. The company is very secretive, both to the media and others and within. This leads to lots of gossip and drama that could be avoided.

Make it easier to let poor performers go. Make it easier to reward top performers on a day-to-day basis. Hold full-timers to a higher standard.

Going Downhill Fast

Current Employee - Sign Artist
    Current Employee - Sign Artist

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

Trader Joe's offers decent pay compared to similar jobs in the grocery/retail industry, decent benefits, and (usually) a flexible work schedule.

Cons

I've worked at Trader Joe's for 4.5 years, and it's done a complete 180 in that time (at least in my region, anyway). At this point I'm convinced that the term "hostile work environment" was created to describe Trader Joe's. As others have said, Trader Joe's is all about the bottom line now. Once you reach a certain salary, they begin targeting you (as if my barely 20K a year is some unheard of salary that the store can't afford to pay). Trader Joe's will never fire an employee unless they are stealing or engaging in some sort of activity that could lead to the store finding itself in some hot water. They will, however, do anything they can to get you to quit. They will change your schedule, change your duties, schedule you only one day a week, and much more. If you're a full-timer, they'll demote you to part time without hesitation (causing you to lose upwards of 40K a year). You will also be written up for literally nothing at all, preventing you from receiving a raise.

I know I may sound like someone who has a problem with my store, but honestly, I've seen this pattern repeated at least a dozen times over my tenure at Trader Joe's. Once I passed the $16/hr mark at my last review, I was told that my salary "costs the store too much money," and it was immediately after that that they began targeting me and playing these hostile games.

Our regional manager is awful and pushes captains to treat their crews like garbage. If they don't, they'll be demoted and a new Captain who is willing to play the game will be brought in. Trader Joe's used to be the kind of place that would work very hard to make its employees happy, but it's now turned into the type of place that will drive you out and replace you with someone who is happy to work for $10/hr.

Treat crew members like human beings. I know many full timers are just reacting to pressure placed on them by the captain, and many captains are only reacting to pressure placed on them by the regional manager, but you're messing with people's lives. A full timer who gets demoted to part time can easily lose upwards of $40,000/year. That's the kind of money that could cause someone to lose their house and much more. And for the most part, demoted full timers aren't doing anything to deserve a demotion. They're usually just part of the "old school" TJ's crew that is now being swept away to make room for the bottom-line munchers.

There are newer employer reviews for Trader Joe's