There are newer employer reviews for Trader Joe's

It is a really positive environment in which to work

Former Employee - Crew Member in Brooklyn, NY
Former Employee - Crew Member in Brooklyn, NY

Pros

The people that tend to work there are all really great, interesting, creative people. Also, the customers are loyal, and you get to know them.

Cons

The shifts are long and some tasks are tedious. The overnight shifts can be mind numbing and monotonous. But overall it's a pretty great place.

Advice to Management

Some of them aren't necessarily the most qualified managers, and should be more inclined to taking advice and growing as leaders.

Other Employee Reviews for Trader Joe's

An Awful Place to Work

Current Employee - Part-timer in Palmdale, CA
    Current Employee - Part-timer in Palmdale, CA

Pros

The Health Benefits are pretty minimal... an HMO is barely insurance. But if you don't mind that, than it's all good. Lifting groceries by hand for 6+ hours a day can be slimming. Some of the customers are great... they're the main reason I like going to work.

Cons

When I got hired 3.5 years ago, I took a pay cut to work at Trader's just to try something new, and I've never regretted any decision I've made in my life more than taking a position there. The Management are cruel, spiteful and petty... lies on your reviews are pretty common, and they have fostered a canniballistic environment wherein your friends within the store will tattle on you like little children just to curry favor with them. On top of all that, many of them are barely compentent enough to know what's going on around them, with each giving you conflicting orders, which can lead you to look foolish because one of the three Full-Timer's requests didn't get finished. Favoritism is rampant, and blatently obvious to anyone that pays attention, especially if you're not a "If I put my head in this sand, I won't get hurt!" type of person, or a person that benefits from said system, which many people do. These guys are far less likely to see any error with the things that go on around them. Also, you get obnoxious customers with a sense of entitlement that lets them think that its okay to treat you like you're "The Help", and not even talk to you when you say hi to them, but instead do that finger-pointing gesture that says,"Shut up, peasant, and bag my groceries!" I've never treated people like that in my life, but I'm told that you're not allowed to say anything, which is pretty screwed up. It's the only job I've ever had where I can go home feeling exhausted after a long day of hard work, and know that I will get some insulting comments from the Managers the next day. They rely on the Part-Timers doing an excellent job on a daily basis while undercutting them verbally and psychologically. I don't know what's worse, the comments, or that creepy corporate Robo-tron smile that so many of them have glued to their faces while they do it. I was hired for my original sense of humor and odd outlook from my varied life experiences, and the company apparently doesn't want people like me working for them anymore... since most of my contemporaries have been either fired or forced to quit. If you work for Trader's, I have a question for you: When's the last time you remember those funny posters the company would make for the break room, with the assorted cheeses on it, that said they like their employees to be a little different? I miss that stuff, and the company stopped doing it years ago... maybe it's because that's not the kind of employees they want anymore. And the criticism is something that you can rarely defend yourself from, since a majority of it is all in the Full-Timer's heads, and has no basis in reality.

Advice to Management

Mandatory psych and drug screenings for anyone in a management position would be a good start. Stop playing games with your subordinates, and don't talk trash about the idea of going Union. It wouldn't really affect your job, but it would be a huge step up for the Part-Timers, since it would give them a bargaining position that they lack as of right now. And please stop trying to improve on something that works already... all you're doing is heaping more work onto someone else's plate.

2. Working at Trader Joe's is enjoyable.

Current Employee - Crew Member in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Fairfax, VA

Pros

The crew you normally work with: morning / mid-shift / night tend to form a good bond of friendship. The entire crew gets along fairly well, but you do make tighter friends with the people you work with more often. The breaks you normally get during the day help keep you refreshed to work your heart out on the floor. Most problems can be solved by just talking to someone at the store. I've never had to call HR or any senior member for a problem at the store level. The flyer tastings + store tastings are always nice not only for your own self, but hearing other employees feel about the same product.

Cons

Once you're assigned a certain part of the store you stay there. You may get mixed up every once in a while, but once you express interest in one area of the store... it becomes your "thing." Sometimes full-timers will have clear differences on how a job should be done and it creates confusion. Some order writers aren't as efficient as others and it creates problems eventually for the customers, which in turn causes problems for the employees.

Advice to Management

I think management has improved a lot since I've started working as a new higher (as far as communication.) I like all the management in general and think they do a great job. I do think full timers do get a bit too much grief if a part timer is the root of the problem. I know it's the full timer's job to make sure everyone is doing what they're supposed to, but they can't baby all the employees. Employees need to be self sufficient and it's their job to communicate with the full timers as well.