There are newer employer reviews for Trader Joe's

Fun atmosphere, but kills the back.

Current Employee - Crew Member in Portland, OR
Current Employee - Crew Member in Portland, OR

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

The best part about the job is the pay. As a part time crew member, you start around $10/hour and get raises up to a dollar every 6 months. The benefits are really good too.

Cons

The work can be very damaging on the back The stock rooms are usually too small and you have to do awkward lifting. Also, the register leads to repetitive movement which can cause carpel tunnel.

Advice to Management

I would recommend focusing more on avoiding injuries. Possibly bring in a physical therapist every 6 months or so to demonstrate how to do the job safely.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

10 years of experience here

Former Employee - Crew Member in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Trader Joe's

Pros

Solid pay for a retail job, benefits, yearly IRA contributions, paid time off and work with a great mix of people.

Cons

Terrible hours as in working till midnight and coming back at 6 am. Or coming into work as early as 3am. Getting promoted isnt about whos the hardest worker, its who is the biggest brown noser

Good company. Bad management

Current Employee - Part Time Crew Member in Huntington Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Part Time Crew Member in Huntington Beach, CA

I have been working at Trader Joe's

Pros

The pay at trader joes is very good. 2 reviews a year are a good thing as well as health insurance. The job is very easy for the pay received.

Cons

Trader joes is a wonderful company, but they need to take a good look at who they are promoting, and who Is running the stores. It's very easy for a store to look good for 5 minutes when the regional comes in. The drama is not escapable. In my stores case it's the management that causes it. Feedback is horrendous and The management tends to either wait for your reviews or cut your hours before they give you feedback. The hours are inconsistent and can change drastically week to week. Especially if you are not a favorite. As with my store management is very unprofessional. And with the many complaints I've heard nothing has been done.

Advice to Management

Let your workers do their job and go home. It shouldn't be as hard to avoid drama but it is when management causes it. Oh and don't take new hires if you can't give your current people hours.