Extremely Poor Management and Ownership

Current Employee - Sales Person in Nampa, ID
Current Employee - Sales Person in Nampa, ID

I have been working at TrailersPlus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Hours Quality Product They do have a $10 per hour base pay + commissions. I really like the guys I work with. That is the only reason I haven't left.

Cons

Micro-management at the GREATEST EXTENT. You have to write and re-write all of your customer interactions and then enter the same information into the computer system. You have to write down and track every minute of your day....seriously....every minute. I have sold a lot of trailers for this company. They are always looking for a way to keep the money and squeeze the salesman out of the deal. Any "problems" that arise at the store (break ins, damaged equipment, maintenance) are paid for with the store bonus pool....which means you don't get any of the extra money you worked to earn. They place no value on the employees they have. "If you don't like the way things are, then you can leave." That is a quote from one of the highest ranking managers in the company, as well as the opinion of the owners.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring your buddies, with NO experience, to run things. You have well qualified staff already available. Stop hiring plant employees to run a sales force. They are clueless as to what is necessary to make a sale happen. Pay your employees the money you claim to pay. You already make us nickle and dime the customer....don't nickle and dime us.

Other Employee Reviews for TrailersPlus

Inept Management, Micro-managed employees

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

Pros

Regular business hours - open Monday through Saturday with one day off. One hour lunch breaks. Sundays off every week. Nights off every week.

Cons

Extremely micro-managed & ridiculous amounts of pointless paperwork - Each time we talk to a customer, either on the phone or on the lot, we have to fill out a 8.5x11 form stating all the details of the interaction. - We have to account, minute by minute, what we are doing throughout the day - CRM system is internally made and put together very poorly. Expect it to run very slowly, be difficult to use, and break for no apparent reason. - One of the major internal issues is a count on a part we get for free (jack feet/sand pads). There is more paperwork to account for where these go than any part that we actually pay for. Lies on Pay - Your pay is partially based on gross profit. However, the GP in the computer doesn't ever match the GP when you take the original PO and compare it to the sales price. Even when you factor in your and management commission, you get shafted. - Same goes for parts. Parts that we get for free have a cost in the computer, and the store's cost seems to be magically higher than the plant's cost (the spreadsheets are available). There is no shipping on parts --- they are shipped inside a bigger trailer. Ineffective Motivation Techniques - The owner's idea of salesperson motivation it to threaten their jobs constantly. Nickel and dime the employee over everything - When the AC broke at the Brimingham, AL location, they took the repair amount out of the potential bonus for the employees because "it benefited the employees" - Some locations (still in the mid-west or south) do not have air conditioning at all, or repair was delayed months during 100+ degree days. - The Nashville, TN store has 2 phones for 4 employees, one of which is a regional manager. So the other 3 employees are forced to share 1 phone. - There is a shortage of chairs. Not a joke - When a California employee quit one of the reasons stated was that the company would not buy a chair for him to sit at his desk. Want you do to a installations but won't get you the appropriate tools - As a sales associate you will be expected to work the lot and do repairs and installations. - You receive minimal pay on these (an additional $4/hr over base, and $0/hr on warranty repairs, $0/hr for lot work) - Equipment repairs are consistently delayed until the equipment breaks. - You are expected to use your own resources to do company work. They expect you to have a cell phone on you at all times and have your desk phone forwarded to it if you are away from your desk for any reason. They do not reimburse you for minutes.

2. Great Opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eugene, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eugene, OR

I have been working at TrailersPlus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a great company to work for if you are looking for a place where you can settle down and build a great career. They pay is very fair, hours are great, and you learn skills that will help you not only professionally but also in life. You get to be a part of a growing business and actually feel like you make a difference in the company.

Cons

This job can be stressful at times, but that goes for any job that involves customer service. There is a lot of paperwork and procedures that must be followed, but that is what keeps the company moving forward and really helps us at the store be more successful.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and continue building a great company.