There are newer employer reviews for TrailersPlus

Extremely Poor Management and Ownership

Current Employee - Sales Person in Nampa, ID
Current Employee - Sales Person in Nampa, ID

I have been working at TrailersPlus full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Hours
Quality Product
They do have a $10 per hour base pay + commissions.
I really like the guys I work with. That is the only reason I haven't left.

Cons

Micro-management at the GREATEST EXTENT. You have to write and re-write all of your customer interactions and then enter the same information into the computer system.
You have to write down and track every minute of your day....seriously....every minute.
I have sold a lot of trailers for this company. They are always looking for a way to keep the money and squeeze the salesman out of the deal.
Any "problems" that arise at the store (break ins, damaged equipment, maintenance) are paid for with the store bonus pool....which means you don't get any of the extra money you worked to earn.
They place no value on the employees they have. "If you don't like the way things are, then you can leave." That is a quote from one of the highest ranking managers in the company, as well as the opinion of the owners.

Stop hiring your buddies, with NO experience, to run things. You have well qualified staff already available.
Stop hiring plant employees to run a sales force. They are clueless as to what is necessary to make a sale happen.
Pay your employees the money you claim to pay. You already make us nickle and dime the customer....don't nickle and dime us.

11 Other Employee Reviews for TrailersPlus (View Most Recent)

One you'll look back and wish you hadn't

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Nampa, ID
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Nampa, ID

I have been working at TrailersPlus full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most regular employees are good people.
    High quality product to get excited about.
    Days are usually filled with work.
    Major Holidays off.
    Not a bad FIRST sales job.

Cons

Not even sure where to begin.
    This company brings new meaning to the term Micro Managing, and there is NO MARGIN for error.
    Like the others said, you have to fill out a form every time the phone rings or someone comes on the lot. If you do not, there is and endless amount of threats about receiving citations, and loss of pay.
    You have to fill out a schedule that lines out your day in its entirety, and you must account for every minute of your day. Not only this, but the schedule has to be sent out at the end of every day for the next day for approval.
    There is a huge lack of trust and an unwillingness to let anyone do their job. Probably why most of the good salesman do not last. When you have people who have never sold anything trying to tell you what you did or are doing wrong. Its kind of hard to swallow.
    A monthly competition report is something that must be sent out without fail, and no matter what is in it. You feel like NO ONE reads it. I have personally sunk many hours into giving a very in depth report of our competition, and I never even heard a word about it.
    The pay scale is constantly changing. In the years I have worked here, it has changed several times. Seeming to be better suited for the salesman to make more money but in the long run a way for the company to take away from the stores. If something is stolen, broken, or any kind of services has to be done at the store. It paid for from the store bonus pool.
    The company used to be more innovative in leading the industry with added features to their trailers, but that has since fizzled out. Also, selling custom trailers used to be one of the best ways to make a little extra money. Now you do not make any more than selling one off the lot.
    Thought I had a career years ago, now I just cannot wait to find something to get me out of it.

Doesn't matter. I could have the best advice in the world and they wouldn't listen. They are only worried about themselves and their money. You ask any of your employees at any of the stores, considering they knew it would not cost them their job, and they would tell you. Again, not that it matters, they would not have the nerve to do such a thing. They would truly see how the morale really is. I can honestly say this company was on the way UP, and as of the last 2 years has been on a steady downward spiral. Competition has caught on to what we do and how we do it, and they are no longer just laying down and taking it.

Inept Management, Micro-managed employees

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at TrailersPlus

Pros

Regular business hours - open Monday through Saturday with one day off.
    One hour lunch breaks.
    Sundays off every week.
    Nights off every week.

Cons

Extremely micro-managed & ridiculous amounts of pointless paperwork
    - Each time we talk to a customer, either on the phone or on the lot, we have to fill out a 8.5x11 form stating all the details of the interaction.
    - We have to account, minute by minute, what we are doing throughout the day
    - CRM system is internally made and put together very poorly. Expect it to run very slowly, be difficult to use, and break for no apparent reason.
    - One of the major internal issues is a count on a part we get for free (jack feet/sand pads). There is more paperwork to account for where these go than any part that we actually pay for.

Lies on Pay
    - Your pay is partially based on gross profit. However, the GP in the computer doesn't ever match the GP when you take the original PO and compare it to the sales price. Even when you factor in your and management commission, you get shafted.
    - Same goes for parts. Parts that we get for free have a cost in the computer, and the store's cost seems to be magically higher than the plant's cost (the spreadsheets are available). There is no shipping on parts --- they are shipped inside a bigger trailer.

Ineffective Motivation Techniques
    - The owner's idea of salesperson motivation it to threaten their jobs constantly.

Nickel and dime the employee over everything
    - When the AC broke at the Brimingham, AL location, they took the repair amount out of the potential bonus for the employees because "it benefited the employees"
    - Some locations (still in the mid-west or south) do not have air conditioning at all, or repair was delayed months during 100+ degree days.
    - The Nashville, TN store has 2 phones for 4 employees, one of which is a regional manager. So the other 3 employees are forced to share 1 phone.
    - There is a shortage of chairs. Not a joke - When a California employee quit one of the reasons stated was that the company would not buy a chair for him to sit at his desk.

Want you do to a installations but won't get you the appropriate tools
    - As a sales associate you will be expected to work the lot and do repairs and installations.
    - You receive minimal pay on these (an additional $4/hr over base, and $0/hr on warranty repairs, $0/hr for lot work)
    - Equipment repairs are consistently delayed until the equipment breaks.
    - You are expected to use your own resources to do company work. They expect you to have a cell phone on you at all times and have your desk phone forwarded to it if you are away from your desk for any reason. They do not reimburse you for minutes.

There are newer employer reviews for TrailersPlus