TranSystems

Steady work, small office

Current Employee - Engineer II
Current Employee - Engineer II

I have been working at TranSystems

Pros

The office is small so there is good cohesiveness between the employees. It is easy to get to know everybody.

Cons

For such a large company they don't use their knowledge base to their advantage. You are limited to the knowledge within your own office, so if you are unsure about how to do something you need to figure it out for yourself.

56 Other Employee Reviews for TranSystems (View Most Recent)

Company is rapidly going downhill. HQ management is desperate and out of touch.

Current Employee - Team Leader
    Current Employee - Team Leader

I have been working at TranSystems

Pros

Some very talented people work here. Pay rate is good.

Cons

Company used to be entrepeneurial in approach, but since 2008 has turned into a centrally-managed, bureaucratic, rigidly process-based place that doesn't care at all about its clients or doing a good design job. HQ only cares about following their processes, profit and stock price. Work long hours for no thanks or recognition at all. Management decisions change constantly for no apparent reason. Performance feedback never mentions or recognizes effort or results but is always negative and only focuses on small inconsequential things that don't directly impact the business. HQ doesn't care to get to know its people outside of Kansas City. I could go on forever. I used to really like working here, but since 2008 its becoming worse every year. No indication that anyone at HQ has a clue about how to improve morale. And the numbers they focus on improving keep going down. Anyone who works on projects for clients that aren't DOT's realizes that HQ's policies on contracting are driving the business right into the ground. Mid-level management has lost all faith and trust in top-level management. We feel ignored, exasperated, bullied and hopeless.

Advice won't work, they don't listen. They're probably sitting somewhere right now drinking another bottle of wine.

Things have gone so far downhill

Current Employee - Highway Engineer
    Current Employee - Highway Engineer

I have been working at TranSystems

Pros

I've gotten to work with a lot of great people at TranSystems through my career. When I started working with them several years ago, compensation was great, morale was high, there was camaraderie amongst coworkers, and a good variety of projects and tasks to work on. The company is nationwide and covers transportation, rail, airports, etc, so there are many sectors to work in.

Cons

Now, things have gone severely downhill. Compensation is not what it used to be (given that we haven't had a real raise in a few years), morale couldn't be much lower and the mentality is more along the lines of "every man for himself". Like I said, I do work with good people, but that can only go so far. Now, all we hear from management is that we need to work harder and longer hours. Management has stated that raises would be given, that there would be bonuses, that we were in a financially great situation, only to have the bonuses taken away and there be layoffs two or three months later. We have a biweekly publication from corporate, but it's hard to know if any of what they're saying is even true at this point. The company is extremely top heavy. They have plenty of "key hires" that make well into six digits, yet no one to work on the projects that they bring in. Project managers are expected to work 60 hour weeks if not more without any overtime pay or possibility for a bonus.

Pay attention to the little guys. Let us do our jobs. Train your employees. Provide IT support, including Microstation. Compensate your project engineers and managers. Try to get an understanding of what we do on a day to day basis.

There are newer employer reviews for TranSystems