Travelers Companies
www.travelers.com Hartford, CT 5000+ Employees

Decent Company but Poor on Perceptions

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTravelers is a very conservative and financially stable company. The pay scale is competitive with other carriers.

ConsMuch of the upper and middle management of this company makes so many decisions based on their perceptions of someone. And most of the time their perception is very far from the truth. For example, I had an employee on final warning for job performance and when they decided to open another office, they promoted him to a manager. I have seen this type of behavior over and over. And reverse descrimination is another problem. They will tell you to hire someone because of their nationality or gender, even if you have 3 or 4 other candidates that are better qualified and have more potential. People are selected for leadership programs in this same manner.

Advice to Senior ManagementSurvey your employees on what is really happening at the field office level and do so without fear of retaliation for expressing their concerns. There are so many inefficiencies in the field that are driven by field and regional management most of which have no idea of what it takes to do the job in the trenches. Do a better job of getting the right people in the seats to do the work. Take a more proactive stance at getting rid of the poor performers. It should not take 2 years to terminate someone that has not been doing their job for the past 5 years just because they are a long-term employee and/or a minority.

TBD

Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Travelers Companies full-time for more than a year

Pros: Good company overall. Senior leadership seems to have it together Cons: very frugal. Shareholder is king - this is evident in… Advice to Senior Management: tbd Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Pleased

Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Travelers Companies full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: It is a solid stable company that treats its employees adequately. They train their employees very well and… Cons: Micromanagement can be an issue at times. The company thinks that it can't be touched… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Travelers Companies.

Worked for Travelers Companies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Travelers Companies reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Travelers Companies CEO Jay S. Fishman. All reviews posted anonymously by Travelers Companies employees.