Travelers Companies

www.travelers.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Travelers Companies

Travelers is still operating as if they were in the recession.

Former Employee - Senior Consultant
Former Employee - Senior Consultant

I worked at Travelers Companies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some great people and co-workers. Very family friendly with good vacation and leave policies. Work life balance is generally good, though it can depend on what group you are in.

Cons

There is a lot of "home grown" leadership at Travelers. While seeing that the company promotes from within is normally viewed as positive it has created management that has little experience outside the company and seems to pay little attention to trends and changing employee market conditions. It has created a management bubble that allows for little innovation or outside ideas. This has led to several specific issues.

First management tends to be clicky and at times you feel as if your back in high school. Managers routinely bring "issues" to their employee's attention based on gossip and hearsay from senior leadership who "heard" about behaviors from sources they will not share. Examples range from "you had your feet on your desk during a call, we don't think your engaged" to "please let your employee know they need to chew with their mouth closed during lunches (both real examples form my peers). While this felt bad from an employee perspective, I cannot imagine being a manager who has to critique an employee based on these sorts of comments. When asked about the origin or timing of incidents, this information is not shared. So on top of de-moralizing employees the effect is to create a suspicious environment where it appears that everyone is watching you.

Second buzz words circulate at an amazing rate. Travelers seems slightly worse than other large corporations about using buzz words to stand in for real ideas. It often feels like senior leadership has few ideas they haven't read in a book, and have a corresponding buzzword. When I left "Talk Track" was the current buzz. There isn't anything wrong with buzz words if they are used to quickly explain larger ideas, but too often they stand in for real thought leadership.

Third pay has not caught up to market trends. Since so much of the leadership has been at Travelers for so long, many through the "good years" of the late 90's mid 2000's their pay is adequate. However newer employee's and those who joined during the low periods are severally underpaid. When I left Travelers to take similar lever position my base offer before negotiations was 30% higher than the salary at Travelers. All other perks, vacation, benefits, etc were similar if not better. A few years ago this would have been fine, everyone was simply happy to have a job. Today this is simply no longer true. Travelers is also a black box pay environment where you are unsure where you are in the pay band and how your pay compares to the person with the same title and responsibilities sitting next to you.

Fourth for those looking to join Travelers at the entry level and rise through the company know that if you are unable to get into a Development Program you will have little chance of rising to a senior management position. They have expanded each of their programs and hire few internal employee's without management experience who are not part of these programs. To be promoted to manager they ask that you have management experience already, but how can you get this experience if they won't give you a shot?

Let your staff know that you want to hear the truth, not what you want to hear, and that anything less will not tolerated. There is a tendency of Director and 2VP level staff to sugar coat everything. Many of the accomplishments are made on the backs of the hard work of lower staff who have to deal with the fall out of upper management decisions that were poorly made. Things continue to run and efficiency gains are made because people are working harder than they should be to cover up poor decision making not because of true innovation or management ideas.

Hire more outside senior level staff and force the retirement of senior staff who has over stayed their time. They continue to operate the same way they have for the last 20+ years. They seem amazed by commonplace technology such as iPad's and cell phones and care more looking like they have accomplishments than actually accomplishing anything. That they feel they need to operate in this way is a failure of senior leadership to create an open and engaging culture.

775 Other Employee Reviews for Travelers Companies (View Most Recent)

I learned a lot, but I wasn't engaged.

Former Intern - Underwriting Intern in Richardson, TX
    Former Intern - Underwriting Intern in Richardson, TX

I worked at Travelers Companies as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

There is a lot to learn about Underwriting, and it seems really interesting to me. The network of interns across the company is one of the most amazing things I have seen, and it seems like a very easy way to fit into the role you see yourself in.

Cons

I had several projects to work on, but it was hard to be engaged, especially with the amount of attention I was given by my managers and co-workers.

Have more structure to the internship process.

difficult employee experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

I worked at Travelers Companies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

PTO plan, fair benefits and 401K

Cons

very rigid , inflexible work environment, tech platforms frequently time out and require reboots several times per day

Allow virtual positions, work at home options, invest $$ in platforms that work together

There are newer employer reviews for Travelers Companies