There are newer employer reviews for Travelers Companies

TRAVELERS PURGES EMPLOYEES WHO ARE OVER 50 AND NEVER PAYS SEVERANCE

Current Employee - Counsel  in  New York, NY
Current Employee - Counsel in New York, NY

I have been working at Travelers Companies

Pros

Throughout my career at Travelers, my co-workers have always been really talented, really great people and I felt it was a privilege to work with them. I was always proud of the work we did and proud of what we accomplished together.

Cons

The "new" Travelers culture introduced by Jay Fishman after the St. Paul merger is that nothing an employee can do is right, nothing an employee can do is ever enough, no result - no matter how great - is immune from "constructive" criticism, etc. In short, a truly toxic atmosphere has been created in what used to be an absolutely marvelous place to work. The individuals responsible for this choice in Home Office must have sold their souls to the devil to agree to this. I wonder if they would approve this management approach if members of their own families were treated the way Travelers' employees are treated? Back before the atmosphere was poisoned by the "Progressive" style of (mis-)management, I was willing to walk barefoot on ground glass to help my department excel. But Jay Fishman's poisonous approach to producing the appearance of profits has made that a thing of the past. And speaking of the past, you better not stay too long. If you're over 50 and you're not a politically connected manager, you'll be "managed out" no matter how good your work is. If you're a politically connected knucklehead, you can stay forever. But when Travelers tried to manage out the best in the business, which required total dishonesty on the part of the "reviewers," they hit a few speed bumps - namely the EEOC. The Feds are on to them, so stay tuned!

Travelers is being audited and "file reviewed" to death. Hire the best in the business, let them actually WORK, then review them honestly. Oh, and one more thing: fire half the managers. They're doing you more harm than good.

667 Other Employee Reviews for Travelers Companies (View Most Recent)

Overworked and not enough pay

Current Employee - Senior Claims Representative  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Claims Representative in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Travelers Companies

Pros

Big name reputation with great benefits and a nice corporate culture. Ability to change career paths within the organization. Steady work in the recession

Cons

While company trying to keep expenses down, claims people are way over worked and under paid. This is affecting customer service to our clients as service is not timely

The job is decent if not so overworked. Hire more claims people and give the company a boost in customer service ratings and satisfaction

Specialty Underwriting

Current Employee - Underwriter  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Underwriter in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Travelers Companies

Pros

Strong, financial company with good branding, good products and good people.

Cons

Top heavy with management and politics.

Find better ways to support and encourage your workforce.

There are newer employer reviews for Travelers Companies

Worked for Travelers Companies? Contribute to the Community!