Travelers Companies

TRAVELERS PURGES EMPLOYEES WHO ARE OVER 50 AND NEVER PAYS SEVERANCE

Current Employee - Counsel in New York, NY
Current Employee - Counsel in New York, NY

I have been working at Travelers Companies

Pros

Throughout my career at Travelers, my co-workers have always been really talented, really great people and I felt it was a privilege to work with them. I was always proud of the work we did and proud of what we accomplished together.

Cons

The "new" Travelers culture introduced by Jay Fishman after the St. Paul merger is that nothing an employee can do is right, nothing an employee can do is ever enough, no result - no matter how great - is immune from "constructive" criticism, etc. In short, a truly toxic atmosphere has been created in what used to be an absolutely marvelous place to work. The individuals responsible for this choice in Home Office must have sold their souls to the devil to agree to this. I wonder if they would approve this management approach if members of their own families were treated the way Travelers' employees are treated? Back before the atmosphere was poisoned by the "Progressive" style of (mis-)management, I was willing to walk barefoot on ground glass to help my department excel. But Jay Fishman's poisonous approach to producing the appearance of profits has made that a thing of the past. And speaking of the past, you better not stay too long. If you're over 50 and you're not a politically connected manager, you'll be "managed out" no matter how good your work is. If you're a politically connected knucklehead, you can stay forever. But when Travelers tried to manage out the best in the business, which required total dishonesty on the part of the "reviewers," they hit a few speed bumps - namely the EEOC. The Feds are on to them, so stay tuned!

Travelers is being audited and "file reviewed" to death. Hire the best in the business, let them actually WORK, then review them honestly. Oh, and one more thing: fire half the managers. They're doing you more harm than good.

728 Other Employee Reviews for Travelers Companies (View Most Recent)

Great Employer

Current Employee - Unit Manager in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Unit Manager in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Travelers Companies

Pros

Management is approachable and human. There is a strong pool of knowledgeable folks and generally the work atmosphere is positive

Cons

workload is heavy and the job is stressful. we have so many individuals to direct and when staffing is needed, it is impossible to meet our needs

Like the opportunities; thanks for the environment; decrease the workload so we can get it done - need more balance

Project Manager's Review of Travelers

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at Travelers Companies

Pros

Very professional organization that cares for its employees.
    Lots of opportunity for growth and advancement.
    The culture was oriented towards hard-work balanced with teamwork and a feeling of being part of a larger organization of which you could feel proud.

Cons

It was so large that it was impossible to keep track of which organization was doing what. As a result there appeared to be a lot of redundant efforts.

Make additional effort to redeploy existing employees rather than laying them off. There is a lot of talet that walks out the door when a neighboring department is in need of a similar skillset.
    Be more transparent with employees regarding potential layoffs. They will find out anyway and not being up front leads to a lack of trust, foot-dragging, and conscious and unconscious sabotage.

There are newer employer reviews for Travelers Companies