Travelers Companies

There are newer employer reviews for Travelers Companies

Great Company, very odd philosophies

Former Employee - Employee In Human Resources in Wyomissing, PA
Former Employee - Employee In Human Resources in Wyomissing, PA

I worked at Travelers Companies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Have autonomy to do what you like doing. This is one of few companies that if you're a good performing employee in their eyes, you will be rewarded. In addition, one of few companies to still offer a pension plan which is rare in today's marketplace.

Cons

Keep you pigeon-holed; managers do not stand up for their employees by educating others on what the roles and responsibilities entail. We were a new department supporting Claims and they never had this before. Although I strived to educate them, the managers only wanted us to perform one function and that was it.

Stop saying yes to client support groups - educate them and the working relationships will be a lot better.

728 Other Employee Reviews for Travelers Companies (View Most Recent)

Challenging, various opportunities for growth

Current Employee - Director in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Director in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Travelers Companies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Huge company with various opportunities for growth. Each department is like its own organization. People are nice, flexible culture, accepting towards family life balance.

Cons

Very little focus on training and education of employees, raises are minimal, political organization - sometimes you need to be able to learn how to navigate politically to succeed.

Take more risks with high performing employees - let them think out of the box.

Good but not a lot of bureaucracy and politics

Current Employee - Senior Director in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Travelers Companies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Large company with a lot of opportunities to network and learn; great employee benefits beyond just insurance and 401k -- diversity networks; speakers; activities; extremely impressive executive leadership

Cons

In some areas, Travelers still has an "old boys" culture which makes it very difficult for new people to come in and make a difference -- very clickish.

Management needs to do skip level meetings to understand what is really going on. What I am beginning to realize is that if they do, that means they have to acknowledge it and actually do something about it!

There are newer employer reviews for Travelers Companies