There are newer employer reviews for Trend Micro

Good place to start a career

Former Employee - Manager in Cupertino, CA
Former Employee - Manager in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Trend Micro

Pros

Trend is a good place to work for people beginning their careers. TM likes to "mold" employees so their way of doing things and this is best done with junior people.

Cons

Trend does not do a good job of respecting the various cultures represented. There is a disturbing "us v them" mentality between corporate and the rest of the regions.

Advice to Management

You need to improve communication. Employees want to know what is happening with the company and not with a "spin" but in reality. Also, you need to have a strategy versus letting things just happen to the company. Bring in stronger leaders with experience in larger organizations and you may have a chance for success.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Good place

I have been working at Trend Micro

Pros

People are professional, environment is friendly, seeable opportunity, good benefits, fair review policy, and commute distance is good for most in the valley.

Cons

It is hard to say cons but just list of some thing I could think of, such as work overtime.

Advice to Management

The management knows what they do, so I don't need advice. But their number one priority is to make company profitable and maximize stockholder and employee.

Stay away, far away.

Current Employee - Linux Administrator in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Linux Administrator in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Trend Micro

Pros

During my time there I met a number of very talented people who I greatly enjoyed with. Sadly they're slowly trickling away from Trend due to the negatives of the job.

Salary is very good, and benefits aren't bad at all.

Cons

The absolute worst part about working at Trend was the amount of thinly veiled racism that permeated every decision by management. The Philippines office, despite being home to something like 75% of trend's technical workers is constantly berated by the management staff, who happen to be almost exclusively Taiwanese. The constant abuse of the Philippines staff was a recurring theme of nearly every ticket that I saw or processed myself.

Beyond the exploitative culture there's the never ending meetings that *everybody* is expected to attend in addition to a normal 9-5 shift. Often time the meetings were 4 nights a week, twice a month or so on weekends, from about 6-11PM PST. Sleep deprivation is at an epidemic level, and on more than one occasion I saw people working 24hr+shifts. In the case of PH workers in the US, I've seen them be mandated by their management to work 36hr shifts before ("no, you can't have a new resource take over, you stay here until it's fixed!").

At one point a manager I was working with told me they were given this wonderful gem of a quote that I think sums up the culture perfectly: "it's more important for people to want to work with you again than it is to ship a quality product".

Advice to Management

Nepotism is not a viable hiring strategy long term.