There are newer employer reviews for Tribune Company

Accounts Payable Specialist

Former Employee - AP & Royalty Coordinator in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - AP & Royalty Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at Tribune Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Family Friendly, informative, advancement, fun company, career development, training

Cons

I have no cons to submit in this area

145 Other Employee Reviews for Tribune Company (View Most Recent)

It's an entry level place to start a career in journalism.

Former Employee - Photo Editor in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Photo Editor in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Tribune Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It is a good place to gain experience for recent graduates. The coverage area provides for a variety of situations for young journalist to build their portfolios and develop skills.

Cons

The pay is below what the cost of living is for the area making it necessary to for some to have a second job. The editorial department is understaffed, forcing journalists to work longer hours. Staff is salary so there isn't overtime. Layoffs are common due to the nature of the newspaper business.

Helpdesk Analyst - Orlando Sentinel (Trib-Tech)

Current Employee - Helpdesk Analyst in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Helpdesk Analyst in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Tribune Company as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

- Free 24 Hr Employee Parking (Downtown Convenient)
    - Indoor Gym for employees
    - ATM Inside
    - Flexible Schedules (24 Hrs)
    - Very Laidback with Tardiness and Sick Calls (Just Call With Time)

Cons

For Orlando Tribune-Tech Group

I advise management to really specify the actual day to day services that they support and not hold any information like this during the interview process. Please be specific as it will help the prospect as well as yourselves, there is nothing more frustrating than to be told one thing in an interview and then see something else during the actual job. Don't waste peoples time as it will only hurt your reputation. This goes for the actual Orlando Sentinel-Tribune Technology team not the recruiters. Also PLEASE! Be patient with the new hires or Noobs as you call them, I guess you guys in Orlando Tribune Tech were the only ones born knowing the proprietary media software, well EXCUUSEEE us for not knowing! I have to say that the Orlando Tribune group is very unprofessional in the way they handle the Hire-Fire process, no sit-down, talk or warning when firing or letting you go just a behind the back fire! Also they have a lot of old equipment (laptops, Desktops and desk's) and very short lunch (30-Min) only which means bring your own food everyday or buy from their cafeteria.

I advise the Trib-Tech Orlando Sentinel Management to carefully explain and be very detailed in your interview with any new hires or prospects. Please specify the job description and mention that this is not an IT/Helpdesk Support Position, let the prospects know that they will be supporting Tribune Media/Newspaper-Editorial Proprietary Software 80% of the time and about 20% actual desktop, OS and general hardware, network troubleshooting. Let the Tech and Hardware guys know that this is Software Support, Answering Phones all day and No Hands On work. This position leans away from the technical/hardware support so if you are looking for a future in IT then this is not the place for you. You will gain very little experience in IT and Network Support and that's only when you work with their VPN, Citrix, Active Directory or Microsoft Outlook, other than that you will deal with Boring Software support.

There are newer employer reviews for Tribune Company